Ryan Keays practises primarily in energy and resources, but also focuses on business law and corporate and commercial law. He advises clients on a broad range of corporate and commercial matters, with a specific focus on energy sector matters, both domestically and internationally.
His practice has included representing clients in oil and gas asset acquisitions and divestitures, share acquisitions and divestitures, negotiation of production sharing contracts and other host government contracts, gas marketing arrangements, pipeline transportation arrangements, midstream asset financing transactions, negotiation of farm-in agreements and other joint venture agreements, oil and gas lease negotiation and interpretation matters, royalty matters and other contractual and operational matters in the oil and gas industry.
Mr. Keays’ international experience includes advising oil and gas companies entering and operating in a number of jurisdictions in North America, Latin America, Africa, Europe and the Middle East.
LL.B., Dalhousie University, 2005
Business Law Certificate, Dalhousie University, 2005
B.ASc., Acadia University, 2001
C.A.S., Acadia University, 2001
Rankings and recognitions
- Alistair Fraser Scholarship, Dalhousie University, 2003
- Bernard N. Cain Memorial Scholarship, Acadia University, 2001
- Harry F. Patterson Memorial Scholarship, 1998-2001
- Governor General’s Medal, 1998
Memberships and activities
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Alberta
- Association of International Petroleum Negotiators
- Canadian Energy Law Foundation
- Co-instructor, international petroleum transactions, University of Calgary Faculty of Law, 2011-2013
- Co-instructor, seminar on rights of first refusal, Canadian Association of Petroleum Land Administrators, 2009-2011
Mexico’s CNH announced the opening of the bid process for 26 Contract Areas..
May 14, 2015
Mexico’s energy reform has now reached a major milestone with the passing of the implementing legislation for such reform..
August 11, 2014
Ryan Keays explained Mexico’s recent oil and gas reforms as it adapts to something closer to the international standard for foreign investment and exploration.
November 06, 2015
Ryan Keays discussed Canadian energy companies contemplating M&A opportunity as Mexico privatizes its industry..
February 01, 2014