Trevor Zeyl’s practice focuses on special situations, public and private mergers and acquisitions, securities law, and general corporate and commercial matters. He has acted for public and private companies in public offerings, private placement financings, purchase and sale transactions and corporate reorganizations. Mr. Zeyl regularly advises both junior and senior issuers on corporate governance and ongoing compliance matters, including working with special committees on proxy contests.
Mr. Zeyl joined our Toronto office as a summer student in 2009 and an articling student in 2011 and 2012. During his articles, Mr. Zeyl completed a secondment in the Royal Bank of Canada’s legal department, where he gained valuable experience working with its public company and corporate services group. Prior to joining us, Mr. Zeyl spent seven months working as a legal analyst in the legal department of Canadian Tire Corporation.
J.D., University of Windsor, 2011
LL.M.(International Business Law), London School of Economics and Political Science, 2010
M.Sc., London School of Economics and Political Science, 2007
M.A., Wilfrid Laurier University, 2005
B.A.(Hons.), Wilfrid Laurier University, 2004
Mr. Zeyl has acted recently for the following clients:
- The board of directors of Agrium Inc. in connection with Agrium’s US$36 billion merger of equals transaction with Potash Corporation of Saskatchewan Inc.
- Data & Audio-Visual Enterprises Holdings Inc. in connection with the sale of Mobilicity to Rogers Communications Inc.
- Yamana Gold Inc. in connection with its $3.9 billion acquisition, with Agnico Eagle Mines Limited, of Osisko Mining Corporation. The transaction involved the formation of a 50‑50 partnership between Agnico Eagle and Yamana, which will hold and operate the Canadian Malartic mine
- Richardson GMP Limited in connection with its acquisition of Macquarie Group’s Canadian retail business, Macquarie Private Wealth Inc., for a price of approximately $132 million
- Orange Capital, LLC in its successful campaign for board representation opposite InnVest Real Estate Investment Trust
- ArcelorMittal in its agreement to sell a 15% interest in its wholly owned subsidiary, ArcelorMittal Mines Canada, for $1.1 billion to a consortium led by South Korea’s POSCO and Taiwan’s China Steel Corporation
- Royal Bank of Canada in connection with the registration of its covered bond program with the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation
- Aurico Gold in its successful $300 million substantial issuer bid
- Agrium Inc. in its successful high-profile defence opposite JANA Partners LLC
- Telus Corporation in a high-profile shareholder dispute opposite Mason Capital Management LLC
Memberships and activities
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- Volunteer Toronto
- London Goodenough Association of Canada
On June 16, 2016, the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) proposed rules to modernize property disclosures for mining registrants which, if adopted, would....
July 06, 2016
The CSA published the long-awaited amendments to Canada’s take-over bid regime under Multilateral Instrument 62-104 – Take-Over Bids and Issuer Bids..
February 29, 2016
Focus: Proxy disputes alive and well in Canada.
August 14, 2017
Shareholder Activism in Canada : 2017.
April 15, 2017