Daniel Pearlman practises in all areas of business law, with a particular focus on securities law, corporate finance, and public and private mergers and acquisitions. He joined our Toronto office as a summer student in 2010 and as an articling student in 2011 and 2012. During his articles, Mr. Pearlman completed a secondment with the law group at the Royal Bank of Canada, where he gained valuable experience working on a variety of matters.
A bronze medallist at Osgoode Hall Law School, Mr. Pearlman also finished first in his second-year class and received awards for highest standing in bankruptcy and insolvency law, and commercial law. While in law school, Mr. Pearlman participated in an exchange program in Jerusalem focusing on international law and was co-president of the Osgoode Entertainment and Sports Law Association.
Year of call
J.D., Osgoode Hall Law School, 2011
B.A., Dalhousie University, 2008
Selected client work
Mr. Pearlman has acted recently for the following clients:
- Royal Bank of Canada in connection with the registration of its covered bond program with the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC)
- A syndicate of underwriters in connection with the C$34 million bought‑deal secondary offering of common shares of Bauer Performance Sports Ltd. by funds managed by Kohlberg Management VI, LLC
- TELUS Corporation in connection with its cross-border MJDS offering of C$1.1 billion 3.35% senior unsecured notes due April 1, 2024, and C$600 million 4.40% senior unsecured notes due April 1, 2043
- Richardson GMP Limited in connection with its acquisition of Macquarie Group’s Canadian retail business, Macquarie Private Wealth Inc., for a price of approximately $132 million
- Antibe Therapeutics Inc. in its initial public offering and listing on the TSXV
- Sunwave Gas & Power Inc. in its business combination with Look Communications Inc. and listing on the TSXV
- Newterra Ltd, in connection with its issuance of Class C Preferred Shares in a third round of financing to private equity investors including XPV Water Fund and Angeleno Group Management III, LLC
- The Bargain! Shop as counsel to the company in its successful emergence from creditor protection under the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act in Canada
Rankings and recognitions
- Bronze Medal, Osgoode Hall Law Schoool
- Bruce Leonard Prize in Insolvency Studies
- Thorsteinssons Prize in Taxation of Business Enterprises
- McCarthy Tetrault Prize for top standing among second-year students
- Davies Ward Phillips and Vineberg Prize in Business Associations, Taxation Law and Commercial Law
- Lang Michener Prize in Commercial Law
- Sir James A Mackinnon Entrance Scholarship
Memberships and activities
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- Law Society of Upper Canada
The Supreme Court of Canada’s decision in (Re) Indalex has changed the landscape for both lenders and borrowers in Canada who sponsor registered defined benefit....
February 06, 2013
In (Re) Indalex, the Supreme Court of Canada (SCC) affirmed the super-priority of the security granted to a debtor-in-possession (DIP) lender, over a deemed trust....
February 01, 2013