Norton Rose Fulbright (Middle East) LLP
15th Floor Al Sila Tower
PO Box 105708
United Arab Emirates
Get directions on Google Maps
“This firm has a long history of serving clients in the Middle East and has well-established offices in Abu Dhabi”
Chambers Global 2013
“(The firm) is particularly strong in the investment funds arena, where it represents sovereign wealth funds such as Mubadala as well as regional private investments groups such as Abraaj Capital. It also has a strong energy and infrastructure capability”
Legal 500 EMEA, 2013
The needs outlined in the Abu Dhabi 2030 plan are closely reflected in our capabilities and key strengths, both in Abu Dhabi, and across our wider international practice.
We offer our clients legal support across the full range of practice areas and are proud to have worked on many landmark urban development, energy, infrastructure, transport and technology projects in the Emirate. We act for Abu Dhabi government entities, corporates and financial institutions on their domestic and outbound business.
Our lawyers understand, appreciate, and can advise on, key local law issues.
We are committed to educating future generations and actively support a programme of Emiratisation.
We have 12 lawyers based full time in Abu Dhabi.
Our experience includes
- Abu Dhabi Government entity - advising a strategic arm of the Abu Dhabi Government on the corporate structuring and joint venture agreements for the largest energy project in the Middle East.
- First Gulf Bank PJSC - advising a syndicate of fourteen banks in relation to a senior unsecured US$900m syndicated facility for First Gulf Bank PJSC (FGB). The facility is the largest loan market transaction undertaken by financial institution in the UAE so far in 2013.
- US$5bn Sukuk Programme - advising Abu Dhabi Islamic bank PJSC on the establishment of a US$5bn trust certificate issuance programme, which at the time of issuance was the second programme launched by an Islamic financial institution and at US$5bn was the largest. It was also the first programme to be listed on the London Stock Exchange.
- Abu Dhabi government department - advising on the renegotiation of a major IT outsourcing contract.
- Refinancing Facility - advising an international financial institution on a proposed refinancing facility to a well known local property developer in Abu Dhabi. This included reviewing the legal interests and contractual terms in place in respect of over 18 different development properties in Abu Dhabi and advising on their suitability for use as security for the facility and advising on the steps required to secure such properties in favour of the lenders.
- Development of Al Maryah Island - advising Mubadala Development Company on all aspects of the development of Al Maryah Island (formerly Sowwah Island). This has included advising on the sale of a number of plots to foreign investors for use as retail, commercial and residential purposes, advising on Mubadala’s joint venture with Gulf Related to develop, lease, and operate "The Galleria at Sowwah Square"(including detailed advice on the structuring and financing of the joint venture and the development), advising on the negotiations with Rosewood Hotels & Resorts as part of the development of the Rosewood Hotel Abu Dhabi, as well as advising on and participating in the negotiation of, the leasing of Grade A office space at Sowwah Square on institutional terms.
- Mubadala Development Company PJSC, Abu Dhabi, UAE - preparing a full suite of construction precedents which are being used across all the client’s business units. This includes a Design & Build contract, construct only contract, two stage tendering contract, Enabling Works contract, and Fit out Works contract as well as a full suite of integrated appointments. These precedents are also being adopted by other Abu Dhabi entities.
- Taweelah B water desalination and power project, UAE - advised a consortium led by Marubeni and BTU in relation to its bid to the Abu Dhabi government to develop the above power and desalination plant and subsequent financing which included an ECA facility provided by JBIC.
Awards and accolades
- TMT Law Firm of the Year in the UAE, 2013, Corporate Intl Magazine Legal Award