Senior Knowledge Lawyer
Christopher is a senior knowledge lawyer, providing know-how and thought leadership support for the debt capital markets, securitisation and derivatives teams in the Banking Group.
Prior to joining the practice, Christopher was a transactional lawyer in the capital markets practice of a magic circle law firm in London, where he was seconded to RBS and Barclays. Christopher trained and qualified as an associate in 2005 in the mining finance group at a Canadian law firm in Toronto. Christopher is experienced in advising financial institutions and companies on legal aspects of multi-jurisdictional debt capital markets transactions. He has worked on whole business securitisations, auto loan securitisations, covered bonds, MTN programmes, mortgage-backed securitisations and structured finance restructurings.
- LL.B., University of Ottawa 2004
- B.A. (International Relations), University of British Columbia, 2001
- Advised the European Financial Stability Facility on the syndicated issuance of €1.5 billion guaranteed fixed rate notes under a €241 billion guaranteed fixed rate MTN programme.
- Advised (whilst on secondment) Barclays Bank PLC as Arranger on the establishment of and £750 million issue under a £5 billion multicurrency note programme by Arqiva Financing plc and as Liquidity Facility Arranger on the establishment of a £200 million syndicated liquidity facility. Both the programme and facility served as components of a broader refinancing by the Arqiva Group.
- Advised (whilst on secondment) Barclays Bank PLC as Arranger on an update to and US$1 billon issuance under its €25 billion covered bond programme by Swedbank Mortgage AB (publ).
- Managed the US diligence team and assisted in drafting for Citigroup, The Royal Bank of Scotland plc and Banco Santander S.A. in their role as Lenders in respect of the refinancing of BAA plc's regulated UK airports. The refinancing comprised a debt issuance programme (into which BAA's existing US$4.8 billion bondholders migrated), £7.2 billion senior term and revolving credit facilities and a £1.6 billion junior financing all secured over the assets and cashflows of Heathrow, Gatwick and Stansted airports.
- Advised Lloyds TSB Bank plc and other Joint Lead Managers/Co-Lead Managers on an update to and €1.75 billion issuance under a €15 billion global covered bond programme by Lloyds TSB Bank plc.
- Member of a team advising a Jersey issuer in respect of a redemption of notes and subsequent unwind of a CDO transaction by a major US insurance company.
- Member of a team advising a Japanese investment bank divesting one of its CLO portfolio manager subsidiaries.
- Assisted in drafting a €300 million revolving term loan facility for a UK investment bank acting as Lender as part of a restructuring of a Swedish mortgage lender.
- Advised investors in the Bilkreditt 3 securitisation of Norwegian auto loans originated by Santander Consumer Bank AS. The transaction involved the issuance of €670 million and NOK2.2 billion Floating Rate Secured Notes by an Irish vehicle. This significant transaction was the first public Norwegian auto loan securitisation and the first transaction to attract the new Prime Collateralised Securities (PCS) label. The PCS label is an industry-led initiative to reinforce asset-backed securities as sustainable investment and funding tools.
- Acted as lead associate for a team advising Banco Santander S.A. as Arranger on the establishment of a £1.3 billion securitisation platform backed by UK retail auto receivables originated by Santander Consumer (UK) plc, representing the Originator’s first transaction in the UK auto securitisation market.
- Advised a French investment bank as ABCP Conduit Agent and Liquidity Provider in respect of the securitisation of €187 million of Spanish retail auto receivables under a €5.6 billion variable funding note structure.
- Acted as lead associate for a team advising a US investment bank as Conduit Agent, Sponsor and Swap Counterparty in respect of securitisation of US$886 million of UK retail auto receivables, representing the Sponsor's first auto securitisation outside of the US.
- Advised a UK investment bank as ABCP Conduit Liquidity Provider in the restructuring and renewal of a £700 million UK master trust structure backed by UK dealer floorplan auto receivables.
- Acted as lead associate for a team advising a German investment bank and a UK investment bank as Lead Managers in the establishment of and issuance under a €1.2 billion variable funding securitisation structure backed by German retail auto receivables.
- Member of a team advising Citigroup on the establishment of and issuance under a €1.3 billion asset-backed securitisation transaction by Bluebonnet Finance plc. The securitisation refinanced a loan facility to fund the purchase of a portfolio of residential mortgage loans, and was the first deal in an untested asset class in Germany, receiving the ISR award “Deal of the Year 2006”.
- Acted as lead associate for a team advising J.P. Morgan Securities Ltd. and the Royal Bank of Scotland plc as Co-Arrangers on the issuance of £1.3 billion floating rate notes as part of a securitisation by Britannia Building Society of residential mortgages originated by Platform Funding Limited and GMAC-RFC.
- Acted as lead associate for a team advising Bank of Ireland Global Markets as Originator for the establishment of a €4.5 billion securitisation backed by residential and buy-to-let mortgages.
- Member of a team advising Lloyds TSB Bank plc, J.P. Morgan Securities Limited, Nomura and Barclays Capital on a £3.4 billion issuance under Lloyds' Arkle Master Trust Programme backed by UK residential mortgage loans.
- Advised (whilst on secondment) The Royal Bank of Scotland plc as Arranger for the establishment by Greenock Funding No. 5 PLC of an originator trust securitisation backed by UK residential mortgages.
- Member of a team advising Bank of America Merrill Lynch on the establishment of a £800 million commercial mortgage-backed securitisation transaction by CPUK Mortgage Finance Limited, backed by loans in relation to Centre Parcs holiday villages. The transaction was recognised by International Financing Review as the first hybrid transaction to involve a tranche of interest only variable rate notes linked to excess cashflow with amortisation triggered by certain profit thresholds.
- Advised Paragon Finance on various issuances and updates under the Paragon Mortgages and First Flexible UK buy-to-let mortgage securitisation programmes.
- Advised a Swiss investment bank in respect of a £2.3 billion bridge issuance for a residential mortgage warehouse facility.
- Member of a team advising International Royalty Corporation, a mineral royalty company in a C$150 million initial public offering of common shares, warrants and debentures which also included the acquisition of Archean Resources Ltd. and a portfolio of mineral royalty rights.
This session covers current legal and practical issues affecting securitisation transactions..
November 7, 2016
This interactive workshop aims to build a strong foundation for those starting out in the structured finance industry..
November 1, 2016
A look at the proposed legislation and how it will affect the securitisation market in Europe..
June 14, 2016
The possibility of Brexit (British exit from the European Union, EU) is getting ever closer, with the UK’s referendum on whether the UK should remain a member of the EU set down for 23 June 2016. If Brexit indeed becomes reality, there may be consequences for Australian issuers in the Eurobonds market and UK or European issuers accessing Australian domestic capital markets. .
May 27, 2016