David Heskel Ben-Meir
David's practice is directed toward litigating, trying and successfully resolving patent and other intellectual property enforcement disputes. His practice is focused on claims involving complex technologies in the fields of communications, software, electronics, industrial automation, semiconductor devices and optics, and has involved products such as digital cameras, manufacturing equipment, cellular telephones, digital televisions, memory devices and display devices. David has handled litigation in key jurisdictions across the country, including in the ITC, and post-grant proceedings in the United States Patent and Trademark Office. Additionally, his practice includes patent license negotiations, patent acquisition and IP counseling. Prior to law school, David was a research and development engineer designing next-generation pattern recognition systems for commercial and military applications.
Throughout his career, a major part of David's practice has involved litigating patent cases on behalf of Asia-based companies. As a result, David has developed a thorough understanding of the differences posed by representing such companies in U.S. litigation.
- JD, Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, 1997
- MS, California State University, Northridge, 1994
- BS, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 1988
- Representing industrial automation company against its chief competitor in an ongoing patent infringement action and related inter partes review proceedings.
- Defended an electronics manufacturer in a patent infringement action involving liquid crystal displays for cellphones. The matter concluded with a consent judgment of non-infringement as to all of the accused products following the magistrate recommendation of summary judgment of non-infringement.
- Defended an entertainment company in a patent infringement action involving hologram technology. Successfully transferred the case to the District of Nevada. Following the filing of IPR petitions, the case settled on terms favorable to the client.
- Defended a Respondent smartphone maker in a patent infringement action brought by a major competitor in the International Trade Commission. Represented client through the evidentiary hearing, after which the administrative law judge issued an Initial Determination of no violation. The case later settled on terms favorable to the Respondent.
- Represented an electronics company in bringing a three-judge panel arbitration involving the sale of a semiconductor packaging business unit, including patents and other intellectual property. The arbitration panel unanimously found for the client awarding $14 million.
- Defended a digital television manufacturer in a patent infringement action in the Eastern District of Texas alleging infringement of nine of the plaintiff's patents relating to digital television signal processing. Following a successful claim construction hearing, the matter was settled on terms favorable to the client.
- Defended a digital camera manufacturer in a patent infringement action through trial in the District of Delaware involving patents relating to image processing in digital cameras. Client prevailed following a decision of the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit reversing the district court's claim construction ruling.
- Defended magnetic products maker in patent infringement action in the ITC. Successfully settled the case during the discovery phase.
- Defended a digital camera manufacturer in a patent infringement action litigated in the District Court for the District of Columbia involving patents relating to communications between components of digital cameras. Represented the client through a highly favorable claim construction hearing.
- California State Bar License
Rankings and recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in America, Best Lawyers, 2017
- California Rising Star, intellectual property, Thomson Reuters, 2005 - 2007
- California Super Lawyer, intellectual property, Thomson Reuters, 2013 - 2016
- Advanced Technology Achievement Award, Litton Industries
- Author, "Strategic Considerations of the USPTO's New Post Grant Proceedings," Intellectual Property & Technology Law Journal, Vol. 25, No. 8 August 2013
- Author, "Strategic Considerations of the USPTO's New Post Grant Proceedings," Alston & Bird, LLP IP Advisory, April 16, 2013
- Author, "Why Apple Persuaded a Jury that Samsung Should Pay Apple 1.05 Billion Dollars and Lessons For Non-U.S. Based Companies Embroiled in Patent Litigation," The Lawyers, October 2012 (Japanese)
Memberships and activities
- Japan America Society of Southern California
- Licensing Executives Society
From our Los Angeles office, 13 lawyers were selected for inclusion on the 2015 Southern California Super Lawyers list..
January 29, 2015
Eleven lawyers in Norton Rose Fulbright's Los Angeles office have been selected as 2014 Southern California Super Lawyers..
March 03, 2014