Nikolai Kovtouchenko is a corporate law practitioner based in Toronto. His practice is focused on mergers and acquisitions and corporate finance, with a specific emphasis on private company acquisitions, sales and reorganizations, and exempt market corporate finance transactions.
Mr. Kovtouchenko has acted for vendors and acquirors in share and asset acquisitions and dispositions of companies in various industry sectors, including technology, life sciences, natural resources, construction and retail. He regularly advises issuers in exempt market financings, with an emphasis on financings of early- to mid-stage technology companies, through offerings of equity, debt and convertible securities. A majority of Nikolai's practice is devoted to inbound and outbound cross-border transactions.
Additionally, Mr. Kovtouchenko has substantial experience in the negotiation of governance documents for private enterprises and joint ventures, such as shareholders', members' and partnership agreements.
- J.D., Osgoode Hall Law School, 2013
- B.A.(Hons.), York University, 2010
Mr. Kovtouchenko's recent M&A mandates include acting for:
- A NASDAQ-listed renewable natural resources company in its Chapter 11 disposition of assets comprising a northern Ontario manufacturing facility
- The shareholders of a leading Canadian fund administration company in its sale to a NASDAQ-listed strategic acquiror
- A TSXV-listed mining company in its acquisition of a BVI company operating an exploration and production business in South America
- A non-profit organization in its court-supervised winding-up and asset distribution
- A Canadian financial institution in its acquisition of a remainder stake in a joint venture not already owned by the institution
- A private holding company in its disposition of a control block of a TSX-listed REIT
- A U.S. hedge fund in its acquisition of the assets of a leading Canadian specialty construction firm out of bankruptcy proceedings
- A TSXV-listed biotechnology company in its acquisition of a privately held Canadian medical instruments distribution company
Nikolai's recent corporate finance mandates have included acting for:
- A marquee hospitality industry joint venture in connection with its financing and governance, including its senior secured loan facilities and common and preferred equity capitalization
- An artificial intelligence and data analysis industry company in connection with offerings at various stages of development of convertible notes, common and preference shares
Memberships and activities
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association