Hersh Verma joined Norton Rose Fulbright's Houston office in September 2015. Hersh's practice focuses on advising clients on a wide range of tax matters, with particular emphasis on federal and international taxation planning and structuring and tax controversy matters.
2015 - J.D., with honors, The University of Texas School of Law
2012 - M.Acct., magna cum laude, Accounting, The University of Texas
2012 - Business Honors Degree, magna cum laude, Accounting, The University of Texas
While in law school, Hersh was a member of the Texas Law Review, received the Dean's Scholar Award every semester, and had the highest grade in his Corporate Tax class.
Hersh is admitted to practice in the Southern District of Texas, the Tax Court, and the Federal Court of Claims.
Assisted with representations of:
- Publicly traded and privately held corporations, limited liability companies, and partnerships in buy-side and sell-side domestic and cross-border/international asset and equity acquisitions and restructurings
- Publicly traded and privately held corporations in taxable and tax-free mergers
- Publicly traded and privately held corporations in taxable and tax-free spin-offs
- Publicly traded and privately held corporations, limited liability companies, and partnerships in credit agreements, debt restructurings, and other financing related transactions
- Companies in connection with FATCA related issues
Specific tax counsel representative engagements include:
- Internal spin-off within a U.S. consolidated group
- Debt restructuring transactions for a publicly traded company
- FIRPTA advice and analysis to an Canadian company
- Purchase and sale of oil and gas properties
- Multiple LLC formations and equity offerings
- Tax controversy case regarding the outer continental shelf taxable activities
- Tax litigation regarding valuation of artwork
- Sale of privately help S Corp and structuring of partnership interest
- Debt financed distribution for publically traded energy company
- Structuring and advising on nonprofit issues for large medical foundation
- Advanced pricing agreement for international company
- S-4s for publically traded companies
- Various pro bono work for low-income clients
- Co-Author, "State Bar of Texas Tax Section Comments on Notice 2016-23 on Implementation of Partnership Audit Regime Enacted Under 2015 Bipartisan Budget Act," May 2016.
Memberships and activities
- State Bar of Texas - Section of Taxation
- Houston Bar Association, Tax Section
- Houston Young Lawyers Association
FIRPTA treats gains recognized by a foreign person from the disposition of a US real property interest, including the sale of shares of a US real property holding corporation, as ECI, subject to US federal income tax..
July 02, 2018
On December 22, 2017, President Trump signed the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (the “Tax Act”)..
January 29, 2018
Global law firm Norton Rose Fulbright has advised leading electro-mobility developer Voltabox AG on the acquisition of Navitas Systems, a US developer and manufacturer of lithium-ion battery systems in the logistics sector. Transaction closing is subject to regulatory approval..
July 05, 2018