As an associate on our litigation team, Kaitlin Smiley's practice focuses on complex civil and commercial litigation, including shareholder disputes, oppression claims, corporate disputes, negligence and professional liability, and securities litigation. She also advises underwriters on insurance coverage matters, and advises clients on issues relating to maritime torts and contracts, insurance claims, and other dispute resolution matters.
Kaitlin is a member of our special situations team that deals with public company disputes, such as proxy fights and takeover bids. Kaitlin has appears before all levels of court in British Columbia, as well as the Canadian Federal Court and Federal Court of Appeal, handling complex interlocutory applications, petition hearings, and conducting trials. She regularly engages in alternative dispute resolution mechanisms, including negotiations and mediations.
- LL.B., University of British Columbia, 2009
- B.A., University of British Columbia, 2006
Memberships and activities
- Canadian Bar Association - Maritime, Civil Litigation, Securities and Insurance subsections
- Canadian Maritime Law Association
- Law Society of British Columbia
- The Advocates' Society
- Marine Insurance Association of British Columbia
The Supreme Court of Canada, in Saadati v. Moorhead, unanimously held that a court can award damages for mental injuries in the absence of any psychiatric diagnosis or expert medical evidence..
July 10, 2017