David Olds is a technology and innovation lawyer based in Singapore.
David's practice focuses on technology and telecommunications-related matters in the Asia Pacific region. David assists clients with entering important markets in the region and helps manage the risks that may arise as their businesses expand, and as legal and regulatory environments change.
David worked in-house for a telecommunications operator in Myanmar prior to re-joining Norton Rose Fulbright in 2017 and provides clients with practical, real world advice for their business in that country, as well as across Asia.
- Drafting and negotiating a wide range of procurement contracts, including:
- Telecommunications network equipment supply contracts
- Data centre supply and management agreements.
- Managed Services Agreements for the outsourcing of telecommunications network maintenance and operational services
- Agreements for construction and lease of build-to-suit telecommunications towers and the provision of co-location space on existing towers.
- IT services and software licence agreements
- Agreements for the management of a telecom operator branded VAS platform.
- Drafting standard form employment contracts for use by local and expat staff for compliance with Myanmar law requirements.
- Drafting and negotiating retail distribution and logistics services contracts for use in Myanmar.
- Drafting and negotiation consultancy services agreements.
Regional telecoms experience
- Acting for a leading telecoms equipment manufacturer negotiating and drafting network expansion and procurement agreements in Indonesia and Sri-Lanka.
- Acting for a leading global bank in its due diligence in relation to the financing for a third party in tower sale and leaseback arrangement.
- Advising a global telecommunications carrier on the licensing requirements for telecommunications services in the PRC for different categories of services.
- Review of standard wholesale terms of a European operator for use as part of that operator's Asian expansion.
- Advising multi-national corporations on VOIP and private network issues in various countries in Asia.
Technology / e-commerce / Mobile money
- Acting for financial institutions and telecommunications operators, drafting payment platform cooperation agreements for the provision of mobile payment services in Hong Kong, Singapore and Myanmar.
- Drafting agreements for the development and operation of an online reward redemption for a global bank for the provision of reward points to customers in Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
- Advising a leading credit card company on regulatory requirements associated with mobile payment services in the PRC.
- Drafting mobile phone application development and licence agreements.
- Negotiating technology services agreements for a major financial institution for deployment in Hong Kong, Japan, India and the PRC.
- Advising various banks and insurers on regulatory issues associated with the development of local IT facilities and the extent to which these may be off-shored from various Asian jurisdictions.
- Advising internet services companies on data privacy issues and general commercial matters in East Asia.
- Assisting a US-based clothing retailer to establish e-commerce services for its PRC consumers.
- Preparation of outsourcing agreement for the provision of facilities management services to offices throughout Asia for a major global bank.
- Advising a global insurer on the outsourcing of its back-end operations from Asia-regional offices to a shared service centre in Malaysia.
- Advising a European bank on outsourcing of back-end functions from their Asian operations.
- Advising a global insurer on data privacy restrictions in various Asian jurisdictions associated with the off-shoring of back-office functions.
- Advising internet security services companies on data privacy issues and general commercial matters in East Asia.
- Advising a major Asia-Pacific bank on SPAM issues relating to the launch of its customer portal in Asia.
- Advising a global bank on data privacy issues arising from its disposal of a business unit in Thailand.
- General Commercial Experience Drafting and negotiation equipment global procurement framework agreements for a global mining company.
- Drafting and negotiating marketing services agreements and standard form agreements for out of home advertising.
- Drafting standard form distribution agreements for use in Asia.
Global law firm Norton Rose Fulbright is advising the ASEAN Financial Innovation Network (AFIN), formed by the World Bank’s International Finance Corporation, the Monetary Authority of Singapore and the ASEAN Bankers Association, on the establishment of a global FinTech marketplace and sandbox platform, called API Exchange (APIX), hosted in Singapore..
November 14, 2018