The use of technology in insurance related transactions and processes, or InsurTech, is having a transformative effect on both the retail and commercial sectors of the insurance industry, making insurance law and regulation especially relevant in this rapidly changing market.
Nicholas Berry is a corporate and regulatory insurance lawyer based in London. He is ranked as a next generation lawyer by Legal 500 (2017).
Nicholas advises on corporate and regulatory issues for clients in the financial services sector with a particular focus on the insurance market.
He has extensive experience of running large multi-jurisdictional and UK based M&A deals for institutional and private equity clients. His M&A experience includes acting for buy-side consortia comprised of insurance market participants and capital providers.
Nicholas has insurance specific financial services regulatory expertise and also advises institutional insurance clients and intermediaries on general corporate and regulatory matters.
His experience includes providing advice in relation to complex structured insurance and reinsurance arrangements and alternative risk transfer transactions, including in relation to ILS transactions transferring novel risks such as lottery jackpot exposures and the use of the new UK ILS regime by sponsors seeking to raise third party capital.
Nicholas leads our UK InsurTech practice and is involved in several projects with insurance clients, start-ups and regulators which are at the forefront of emerging technology in the insurance space from a corporate and regulatory perspective.
He is a regular contributor to publications such as Insurance Day on insurance related matters, including the UK government's proposals to make London a global ILS centre. He is also a regular speaker at conferences, such as the FCA's InsurTech conference.
Nicholas is active in legal services innovation and devised and co-ordinated our Insurathon 2017 innovation event.
- Advising a global insurer on the acquisition of a telematics and connected car business with international operations
- Advising on the sale of the commercial lines MGA UK General to JC Flowers
- Advising Aquiline Capital Partners LLC on its investment in and subsequent exit from wholesale broker Beach & Associates
- Advising on the sale of Castle Cover (a specialist distributor of products to the over 50's market) to Ageas
- Advising a private equity buyer on the acquisition of a Lloyd's of London syndicate writing speciality motor insurance
- Advising a consortia comprised of insurance market participants and capital providers on the potential acquisition of a life insurance company
- Advising MGA Now Health International on its acquisition of Best Doctor's Inc private medical insurance business
- Advising MyLotto24 on the renewal of its innovative ILS Hoplon coverage
- Advising MGA Now Health International on its global capacity arrangements
- Advising an insurer on the regulatory structuring of its proposed partnership with a car manufacturer
- Advising an insurer on the regulatory aspects of its proposed distribution arrangements in relation to motor products
- Advising a national motor insurer on its ABS joint venture arrangements with partner law firms
- Advising Stable, an InsurTech MGA operating in the agricultural insurance space, on its product design and arrangements with insurance partners and distributors
- Advising pay-as-you go drone insurance provider start-up Flock Cover on its distribution arrangements and arrangements with industry partners. Flock Cover was the winner of our inaugural Insurathon 2017
- Advising AIG and Standard Chartered on the insurance regulatory aspects relating to the use of blockchain in their trade finance platform PoC
- Advising a speciality insurer and reinsurer on its participation in an insurance market blockchain platform involving multiple market participants focused on the marine sector
- Advising blockchain enabled peer to peer discretionary mutual Nexus Mutual on its launch
- Advising Lloyd's of London on the regulatory implications of cryptocurrencies and ICOs
- Solicitor, qualified in England & Wales
- The Liability Risks at the Liability Underwriters Group Conference, September 12, 2018: Nicholas gave a talk on Artificial Intelligence
- Lloyd's Market Talk to Lloyd's Syndicates, August 16, 2018: Nico gave a Lloyd's Market talk on the Insurance of Crypto Assets and Businesses
- Smart Shipping and InsurTech - Reshaping Marine Insurance event co-hosted by Norton Rose Fulbright, MS Amlin and InsTech London, June 13, 2018: Nico co-hosted the event
- InsurTech Insights Conference, June 18, 2018: Nico moderated a panel discussion on regulation and InsurTech
- Cryptocurrencies and ICOs seminar, hosted by Marsh, April 30, 2018: Nico presented to an insurance market audience
- IMIF and Maritime London "Effects of e-commerce on Shipping seminar - London, November 6, 2017: Nico presented on the use of blockchain platforms in the shipping industry
- Innugural Norton Rose Fulbright Insurathon London, November 3-5, 2017: Nico hosted the three day event
- The InsurTech Conference - London, September 22, 2017: Nico presented on 'The role of the regulator in the InsurTech revolution'
- Association of Chinese Insurance Professionals - London, September 4, 2017: Nico addressed the Association of Chinese Insurance Professionals at the UK Autumn Gathering on the topic of InsurTech
- Lloyd's Market Association BILA U35 - London, July 27, 2017: Nico participated in an InsurTech Panel Discussion
- Insurance Law Forum (A Thomson Reuters' Practical Law conference), March 23, 2017: Nico presented on "Bringing FinTech innovation and blockchain technology to the insurance market"
- The FCA's InsurTech conference, March 28-29, 2017: Nico presented on "The Future of smart contracts in insurance"
- Fintech in the Insurance sector, Thomson Reuters' Insurance Law Forum, June 9, 2016: Nico spoke at Thomson Reuter's recent Practical Law panel discussion as part of their annual Insurance Forum on the use of FinTech in the insurance sector
The shipping industry is evolving rapidly and the London marine insurance market is changing to reflect that. The Government, the insurance industry and the InsurTech world are all playing their part. .
June 13, 2018
Exploring innovative technology and ideas in insurance.
November 3-5, 2017
The world’s first decentralized cryptocurrency, Bitcoin, and the technology underpinning it, blockchain, was created in 2009..
April 30, 2018
For the insurance market, there has arguably been no greater potential for growth and innovation in recent years than that provided by blockchain, or distributed ledger technology..
January 30, 2018
Norton Rose Fulbright, MS Amlin and Eos Venture Partners are delighted to announce the winners and results of Insurathon 2018, a start-up and innovative business-focused pitch event..
November 05, 2018
Global law firm Norton Rose Fulbright has launched a new chatbot powered by artificial intelligence that has been trained to respond to queries in relation to emerging regulatory developments in the insurance sector. .
October 24, 2018