Anthony is a corporate lawyer based in Sydney.
Anthony advises on corporate transactions and cross-border investments into Australia and across the Asia Pacific region, with a particular focus on China and Papua New Guinea.
Based in our Sydney office but travelling frequently, Anthony acts for government and private enterprises mainly in the energy, mining and agriculture sectors. His experience includes advising on:
- cross-border M&A, joint ventures, corporate restructures and asset sales, including related foreign investment requirements
- corporate governance, shareholder arrangements and shareholding issues, including buy-backs and reductions
- the corporate aspects of energy and resources project development, financing and operations, and
- the development and drafting of legislation to establish and govern state owned entities responsible for the management and commercialisation of natural resource assets.
Raised in Papua New Guinea, Anthony speaks fluent Pidgin. He is listed as a leading PNG advisor based abroad in Chambers Asia-Pacific 2016, where clients praised “his leadership skills and ability to effectively manage a transaction”.
Selected client work
Papua New Guinea
- Acted for the State of Papua New Guinea on its participation in the Exxon Mobil consortium (PNG LNG) up to the signing of the Gas Agreement, which consortium has developed and commercialised various gas assets in Papua New Guinea.
- Advised the State of Papua New Guinea on its A$1.239 billion acquisition of 10% of OilSearch Limited including on the financing provided by UBS AG and the subsequent transfer of that shareholding and financing to Kumul Petroleum.
- Advised Mineral Resources Development Company of Papua New Guinea (MRDC) on various transactions involving resources and energy assets held or managed by MRDC.
- Advised the Western Highlands Development Corporation (PNG) on its participation in a consortium for the construction of part of a city precinct including joint venture arrangements and shareholder financing arrangements.
- Advised the State of Papua New Guinea on the establishment of the new Kumul SOE Legislation over all SOEs including Kumul Petroleum, Kumul Minerals and Kumul Consolidated Holdings.
- Advised the State of Papua New Guinea on a confidential and sensitive acquisition of shares in a listed company (ASX and POMSOX).
- Advising a Chinese state-owned enterprise (SOE) on its planned investments in the New South Wales ‘poles and wires’ power distribution asset sales.
- Advised Shandong RuYi Group on its 2012 acquisition of Cubbie Station in Australia, the largest cotton farm in the southern hemisphere, and on subsequent agribusiness acquisitions and joint ventures in Australia, New Zealand, Pakistan and India.
- Advised Emerald Foods Group (HK) on its acquisition in 2015 of the New Zealand Natural Foods Group.
- Advised China Metallurgical Group (MCC) on its Western Australian mining investments and subsequently the restructuring of those investments, being Cape Preston and Cape Lambert in Western Australia.
- Advised Shenhua Energy on the establishment and operation of its Australian investment vehicle and relevant subsidiaries.
- Advised Beijing Hoahua Energy on several of its international investments including in the AIM listed company Coal of Africa Limited.
The Security Register under the Personal Property Security Act 2011 (PPSA) has commenced in Papua New Guinea (PNG) as of this week..
May 13, 2016
On 17 June 2015, Australia signed a Free Trade Agreement with the Peoples Republic of China (ChAFTA)..
June 22, 2015
Norton Rose Fulbright announces new Papua New Guinea office amid surge in energy, mining and infrastructure work.
November 25, 2016
Partner Anthony Latimer and consultant Daniel Ward analyse the big opportunities for Papua New Guinea’s mining sector..
May 24, 2016