Dominic Stuttaford is Head of Tax for Europe, Middle East and Asia and Brazil, and is based in London. He focuses on the tax aspects of corporate finance and other finance transactions and structures, with a particular interest in the insurance and technology sectors. He trained at the practice and became a partner in 1999.
Dominic’s experience includes mergers and acquisitions of public and private companies, group restructurings, and acquisition and other finance structures.
Dominic has been recommended for some years in Chambers and Partners and Legal 500 and has been described as “extremely bright”, with clients remarking that “he can be relied upon to come up with the right answers”. ‘Dominic has been recognised as a ‘leading’ Corporate Tax Lawyer by Who’s Who Legal 2014’ Chambers UK 2015 states that "He is very proactive, thorough and knowledgeable, and always delivers what we need, when we need it."
Dominic is a member of the Law Society International Tax Committee and the Chartered Institute of Taxation (CTA). He is on the Editorial Committee of Practical Law for Companies (PLC).
Recent experience includes:
- acting for Barclays on the sale of their African banking interests to Absa Group Limited and the issue of shares by Absa to Barclays. It involved structuring the transaction, co-ordinating relevant advice and negotiating sale documentation, this helped to ensure there were no unexpected tax obstacles.
- acting for Brookfield on its acquisition of part of the BGE Group. This involved both negotiating the sale documentation and the structuring.
- acting for AXA on its disposal of the AXA UK Life business. The disposal involved both the actual sale and various complex re-organisations.
- acting for Iberia on its merger with British Airways, and helping to devise a structure that worked for UK and Spanish purposes.
- Solicitor, qualified in England & Wales
Mandatory reporting of cross-border transactions for taxpayers and intermediaries..
September 14, 2018
The Government is consulting on its proposal to introduce legislation in the Finance Bill 2018/2019 to allow individuals to claim Entrepreneur’s Relief (ER)..
March 14, 2018
Global law firm Norton Rose Fulbright has advised longstanding client, Emerging Africa Infrastructure Fund (EAIF), in relation to its latest round of debt fundraising, in which EAIF raised approximately US$385million in new long-term debt capital to invest in sub-Saharan African infrastructure projects. Norton Rose Fulbright has advised EAIF on its debt financings since 2013..
April 26, 2018
Global law firm Norton Rose Fulbright has advised Trinity Mirror plc on its acquisition of Northern & Shell’s publishing assets for a total purchase price of £126.7 million..
March 22, 2018