Kevin, Head of Corporate – South Africa, is a commercial lawyer based in Johannesburg.
He is one of the most respected corporate lawyers in South Africa, having acted for well-known South African mining and industrial groups and for various South African and international banks. He specialises in mergers and acquisitions, banking and finance work, general commercial and corporate work, tax and financial services. He also advises on related exchange control matters.
Kevin has extensive corporate experience and has been involved in major transactions in this field for over 35 years. Kevin recently advised Barclays on the sale by Barclays to Absa of eight banking businesses in Africa, a deal valued at ZAR18.3 billion. He continues to advise Barclays in relation to the sell down by Barclays of its interest in Barclays Africa Group Limited and related matters, a transaction valued at R37 billion. He recently advised Neotel in the acquisition of Neotel by Liquid Telecom and is currently advising Cell C in relation to the restructuring and recapitalisation of Cell C, including the acquisition of significant shareholdings by Blue Label and Net1. He advised Exxaro Resources Limited on the acquisition of Total Coal South Africa (Pty) Ltd from Total SA and is currently advising Exxaro in relation to the restructuring of their Black Economic Empowerment ownership structure.
Kevin has extensive experience in financial transactions and has represented financial institutions both locally and internationally including Barclays, FirstRand, Standard Bank, Investec, Citigroup, Nedbank, Absa, JP Morgan Chase, Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Goldman Sachs, Deutsche Bank and others. He has also acted for clients such as Anglo American, De Beers, Sandvik, Group 5, Rio Tinto, Actis Private Equity, Ethos Private Equity, Exxaro, Kumba and other well-known multinational and South African corporations.
- Bachelor of Commerce (University of the Witwatersrand)
- Bachelor of Laws (University of the Witwatersrand)
- Master of Laws (Tax)(University of the Witwatersrand)
- Attorney and Public Notary, qualified in South Africa 1982
Rankings and recognitions
- Kevin is regularly listed as a leading financial, corporate and banking lawyer in IFLR1000, Who's Who, Legal500 and Chambers Global.
- IFLR1000 refers to Kevin as a 'well reputed individual practitioner who is noted by peers and clients as one of the top M&A lawyers'. Included in the ranking is a quote from a competitor being: 'Cron is a brilliant M&A and all-round corporate lawyer'.
- Kevin is currently ranked Band 1 by Chambers Global for corporate, mergers and acquisitions and added that "Head of corporate Kevin Cron is a driving force of the practice and leads many of the firm's standout M&A deals. Sources regard him as "one of the most respected corporate attorneys in South Africa" and he is lauded for his excellent technical abilities and diligent approach".
- Kevin was nominated by his peers as one of the world's leading practitioners in the field of Corporate Governance by Who's Who Legal in 2014, and has recently been listed in Who's Who Legal 2016 for M&A and Governance. Chambers Global, 2017 sources say, "He knows all the regulations back to front."
Memberships and activities
- Member of the Law Societies of the Northern Provinces, KwaZulu-Natal and Cape Provinces
- Member of the Company Law Committee of the council of the Law Society of the Northern Provinces
Georg Kahle, Kevin Cron and Prof Surtees have contributed the Q&A guide to Establishing a business in South Africa..
June 01, 2014
The mining industry continues to go from strength to strength compared to other industries, as all economies face the challenges caused by geo-political tensions,....
March 12, 2012
In a recent article on Mining Weekly, Kevin and Georg comment on the challenges faced by the mining industry..
January 30, 2015
For the fourth consecutive year, we have been recognised as the most highly regarded law firm for mining by Who’s Who Legal 2015..
January 30, 2015