Cynthia Venter has recently been appointed as Head of Knowledge for South Africa.
Cynthia is responsible for managing and implementing our knowledge requirements, legal training and identifying opportunities to use knowledge products to add value to our clients. Cynthia is also a banking and finance lawyer in Johannesburg. She has extensive experience and expertise in project finance related mining, telecoms and renewable energy projects with a specific emphasis on the security aspects of these transactions. She also has considerable experience in cross border, commercial property and syndicated lending finance transactions and has been involved in a number of the major, high value local and international transactions of the banking and finance team.
Cynthia is a member of the working committee which established the African Loan Market Association (ALMA) (now incorporated into the LMA) and the conversion of English law primary and secondary loan documentation into a suite of South African law documents. This is a prestigious appointment and cements the practice’s credentials as a top tier banking and finance practice in South Africa.
Cynthia holds a Bachelor of Laws degree (cum laude).
Selected client work
- Shanta Mining, Tanzania –acting as lead counsel to Investec Bank Limited who provided secured financing facilities to Shanta Mining Company Limited (incorporated in Tanzania), subsidiary of Shanta Gold Limited, listed on the London Stock Exchange.
- American Tower Corporation, South Africa – advised Absa Bank Limited, Nedbank Limited, Development Bank of Southern Africa Limited and Standard Bank of South Africa Limited on the financing of the acquisition by a South African subsidiary of American Tower Corporation of certain towers and related property from Cell C Proprietary Limited, a subsidiary of Oger Telecoms.
- Neotel, South Africa – currently acting for Neotel Proprietary Limited in the acquisition by Vodacom Proprietary Limited of the shares in Neotel. Acted as advisors to Neotel Proprietary Limited in relation to a converged telecommunications infrastructure project finance facility in an amount of ZAR4 billion with Nedbank Capital, Investec, DBSA, INCA, DEG, State Bank of India and the IDC and the various restructuring of such long term project finance facility.
- Bosveld Phosphates, South Africa – acted as counsel to Africa Finance Corporation in relation to the financing made available to Bosveld Phosphates Proprietary Limited, a subsidiary of the ETG Group.
- Boseto Project, Botswana – acted as advisors to Standard Chartered Bank, Standard Bank, Credit Suisse and Caterpillar Financial SARL in relation to project financing facilities to Discovery Copper Botswana (Proprietary) Limited for the Boseto Copper Project in Botswana.
- Rosh Pinah, Namibia – acted as South African counsel to Absa Capital, a division of Absa Bank Limited, The Standard Bank of South Africa Limited and Standard Bank Namibia (as MLAs) who provided financing to Rosh Pinah Zinc Corporation (Proprietary) Limited (as Borrower) on a limited recourse basis. The Borrower is a registered private company in Namibia.
- Rio Tinto – Black Economic Empowerment Transaction, South Africa - acted for Rio Tinto Plc, Rio Tinto Limited, BHP Billiton Plc and Richards Bay Minerals in the implementation of the financing related aspects of its black economic empowerment transaction as well as the restructuring of these financing arrangements. The consortium of lenders consists of Nedbank Limited (acting through its Nedbank Capital and Nedbank Corporate Banking division), FirstRand Bank Limited (acting through its Rand Merchant Bank and First National Bank division) and Absa Bank Limited (acting through its Absa Corporate and Business Bank division).
- Western Bushveld Joint Venture, South Africa – acted for Lenders on their limited recourse project financing to Western Bushveld joint venture for the construction, development and operation of a new platinum mine.
- AK06 Kimberlite Diamond Project, Botswana - advised Standard Chartered Bank on their limited recourse project financing to Boteti Mining (Proprietary) Limited for the construction, ownership and operation of the AK06 Kimberlite Diamond Project in Botswana. The sponsors in respect of the project are a TSX listed company incorporated in Canada and an AIM listed company incorporated in England and Wales.
- Maseru Mall Development, Lesotho – acted as advisors to Nedbank Limited (acting through its Nedbank Corporate Banking division) and FirstRand Bank Limited (acting through its Rand Merchant Bank division) in relation to the development financing facility made available to Racecourse Mall (Proprietary) Limited, a subsidiary of Eris Property Group, for the development and construction of Maseru Mall in the Kingdom of Lesotho.
- Respublica, South Africa – acted as legal advisors to each of FirstRand Bank Limited (acting through its Rand Merchant Bank division) and Nedbank Limited in relation to the development and term loan facilities made available to Respublica Proprietary Limited, a subsidiary of Bridgehead Real Estate Fund Proprietary Limited.
- Gold One, South Africa – acted as legal counsel to Investec Bank Limited on the US$210 million financing facilities provided to New Kleinfontein Gold Mine Proprietary Limited and Gold One Africa Limited, subsidiaries of Gold One International Limited for the acquisition of Rand Uranium Proprietary Limited.
- Exxaro Resources Project, South Africa - acted for FirstRand Bank Limited (through Rand Merchant Bank), Investec Bank Limited, Citibank, Nedbank Limited, Standard Chartered Bank, the Standard Bank of South Africa Limited, the Development Bank of South Africa Limited and Industrial Development Corporation of South Africa Limited on credit facilities to Exxaro Resources Limited in an amount of ZAR4,5 billion Rand.
- Sishen Iron Ore, South Africa – acted as legal counsel to Investec Bank Limited, as part of a consortium of lenders, on the financing provided to Sishen Iron Ore Company Proprietary Limited for general working capital requirements.
- Longuyan Mulilo De Aar wind power generation plant, South Africa – advised Nedbank Capital and the Industrial Development of South Africa as lenders’ legal counsel on the security aspects of the financing of the 96.48MW wind power generation plant which has been awarded preferred bidder status under Round 3.
- Mulilo Prieska photovoltaic solar power facility, South Africa – advised Total and Mulilo as sponsors’ and borrower’s legal counsel on the security aspects of the financing of the 75MWAC photovoltaic solar power facility which has been awarded preferred bidder status under Round 3.
- Mulilo Sonnedix Prieska solar photovoltaic facility, South Africa –advised Sonnedix and Mulilo as sponsors’ and borrower’s legal counsel on the security aspects of the financing of the 75MW solar photovoltaic facility which has been awarded preferred bidder status under Round 3.
- Tsitsikamma wind farm, South Africa – advised Nedbank Capital as lender’s legal counsel on the security aspects of the financing provided in relation to the 95.325MW Tsitsikamma wind farm under Round 2 of the RE IPP Procurement Programme.
Global legal practice, Norton Rose Fulbright, has advised South African online trading company GT247.COM on Africa’s first ever EasyEquities product which allows....
March 06, 2015