Marc Duquette practises corporate and securities law with particular emphasis on the regulation of financial institutions, financial products and services, and the regulation of markets.
He advises on all types of transactions involving financial institutions and intermediaries. He also acts for fund managers and distributors. He advises banks, insurers, trust companies, securities dealers, investment advisers, portfolio managers and insurance brokerage firms on regulatory issues and assists clients in obtaining required approvals from applicable regulatory authorities and organizations.
Mr. Duquette is well acquainted with laws, regulations and policies affecting banks, insurers, credit unions, trust and loan companies and other financial institutions, as well as brokers, investment advisers, insurance representatives, mortgage brokers and other intermediaries in the distribution of financial products and services as well as the regulation of markets and clearing and anti-money laundering rules. He frequently represents clients before regulatory agencies at various levels of government. Mr. Duquette has attended a number of parliamentary committees examining draft legislation affecting financial institutions and has prepared and presented briefs before such committees.
B.C.L., McGill University, 1977
B.Sc.Ec., Collège Stanislas, 1974
Matters in which Mr. Duquette has acted include:
- Incorporation and licensing of VSP Canada Vision Care Insurance, a life insurer
- Incorporation of The Provenance Life Insurance Company, a life insurer
- Acquisition by Aquiline Capital partners, a US-based private equity firm, of Beach Capital Holdings Limited, a multinational specialized insurance brokerage firm
- Acquisition by Genstar Capital, LLC, a US-based private equity firm, of Granite Global Solutions, a leading Canadian provider of risk mitigation services to insurance and corporate clients
- Definitive purchase agreement (counsel to Kingsway Financial Services Inc.) to sell all of the issued and outstanding shares of Jevco Insurance Company to The Westaim Corporation
- Sale by ING Groep N.V. of all of the issued and outstanding shares of ING Bank of Canada to the Bank of Nova Scotia
- Continuation of Industrial-Alliance Pacific Insurance and Financial Services Inc. from the federal to the Quebec jurisdiction and its merger with Industrial-Alliance Insurance and Financial Services
- Purchase by B2B Bank of all of the issued and outstanding shares of AGF Trust Company from AGF Management Limited and its subsequent merger with B2B Bank
- Purchase by B2B Trust of all of the issued and outstanding shares of M.R.S. Trust Company and M.R.S. Inc., a securities dealer, from Mackenzie Financial
- Application to the minister of finance (Canada) for the continuation of B2B Trust, a subsidiary of Laurentian Bank of Canada, as a bank governed by the Bank Act (Canada)
Speaker throughout his career on various aspects of financial institution regulation, including most recently:
- “Démystifier les relations avec l’État,” presentation to selected clients, March 2015.
- “Remuneration Affecting Incentives Impacted by the Global Financial Reform,” 2011 Compliance and Consumer Complaints Annual Conference, Canadian Life and Health Insurance Association Inc., May 2011.
- “The New Quebec Business Corporations Act and its Impact on Financial Institutions,” presentation to financial institution clients.
- “Bill 60, An Act to Amend the Consumer Protection Act,” presentation to the Canadian Bankers Association.
Memberships and activities
- Canadian Bar Association
- Former President, Heart & Stroke Foundation of Quebec
On June 13, the Quebec National Assembly passed Bill 141, An Act mainly to improve the regulation of the financial sector, the protection of deposits of money and the operation of financial institutions (the Act). .
August 01, 2018
On October 31, 2017, Carlos Leitão, Quebec’s Minister of Finance (Minister), tabled in the National Assembly Bill 150 (Bill) which aims to implement certain measures that had been announced in the Minister’s budget speeches in March 2016 and 2017..
November 09, 2017