Rahool P. Agarwal
Rahool Agarwal’s practice focuses on complex commercial and civil litigation. His work includes contractual disputes, partnership disputes, shareholder disputes, complex fraud matters, class actions, defamation claims, as well as constitutional and public law matters. Mr. Agarwal is frequently called upon to handle time-sensitive disputes and has extensive experience bringing and defending urgent court proceedings.
Mr. Agarwal has acted for a diverse range of clients, including international pharmaceutical innovators, private investment banks, a Canadian tobacco manufacturer and a European telecom.
Mr. Agarwal has appeared before all levels of court in Ontario, the Quebec Court of Appeal, the BC Court of Appeal and in five cases in the Supreme Court of Canada. He also regularly appears before the Toronto Commercial List.
Mr. Agarwal was recognized by Legal 500 as a "Next Generation Lawyer" for Dispute Resolution: Ontario (2018), and by Lexpert magazine as a "Leading Lawyer to Watch (Litigation – Corporate Commercial)" (2017), a "Rising Star: Leading Lawyer Under 40" (2016) and a "Corporate Lawyer to Watch" (2016). In 2013, Mr. Agarwal was awarded a "Precedent Setter Award" by the legal publication Precedent, and in 2011 Mr. Agarwal was named "Young Practitioner of the Year" by the South Asian Bar Association of Toronto.
Mr. Agarwal is actively engaged in the broader legal community. He coaches the Lakehead University Wilson Moot team, is a volunteer with Pro Bono Law Ontario, is a member of the editorial board of the Commercial Litigation and Arbitration Review and was a member of the board of directors of the South Asian Legal Clinic (Ontario) (2015-2017).
J.D., University of Toronto, 2006
B.Comm., University of Alberta, 2003
Corporate/commercial: VEON ($1.3 billion breach of contract claim relating to sale of WIND Mobile); ONEnergy (formerly Look Communications) (claim against former CEO for breach of fiduciary duty); Morrison Park Advisors (enforcement of option to acquire 20% of a multi-billion-dollar LNG facility); Bioniche Life Sciences (proxy battle)
Class actions: Strada Crush (alleged unpaid overtime); Symantec (alleged defects in Norton Anti-Virus products); Pfizer (validity of Viagra patent); Imperial Tobacco (claim by tobacco growers re: historical tobacco smuggling); Canadian National Railway (misclassification of managerial employees)
Complex litigation: Ontario Professional Fire Fighters' Association (complex fraud involving misappropriation of union funds); Merck (claim under section 8 of the PM(NOC) Regulations); UOIT Students' Association (contested receivership); Imperial Tobacco (contractual dispute with governments of Canada and Ontario); Porter Airlines (defamation claim against union for statements made during a strike)
Supreme Court of Canada: The REDRESS Trust (Kazemi v Islamic Republic of Iran); Canadian Association of Critical Care Nurses (Cuthbertson v Rasouli); Barbra Schlifer Commemorative Clinic (NS v Her Majesty The Queen)
Rankings and recognitions
- Legal 500 (2018): Next Generation Lawyer (Dispute Resolution: Ontario)
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (2017): Leading Lawyer to Watch (Litigation – Corporate Commercial)
- Lexpert US/Canada Cross-Border Guide (2016): Corporate Lawyer to Watch
- 2016 Lexpert Rising Star: Leading Lawyer under 40
- 2013 Precedent Setter Award, Precedent Magazine
- 2011 Young Practitioner of the Year, South Asian Bar Association of Toronto
- “Intervener Motions and Supreme Court Advocacy,” Supreme Court and Constitutional Litigation Conference, The Commons Institute, June 2013.
- “Rasouli v Sunnybrook: End-of-Life Lessons We Have Learned and Might Learn” (with Mark Handelman), Toronto East General Hospital Grand Rounds, June 2013.
- “Intervening in Charter Appeals: Tips & Tricks,” Nuts and Bolts: Litigating Charter Applications and Appeals, Ontario Bar Association, November 2012.
- “Intrusion Upon Seclusion: Ontario’s New Tort,” KPMG Lunch & Learn, October 2012.
- “Insights on Insite,” Law Union of Ontario Conference, February 2012.
- “Summary Judgment Motions in Ontario,” Norton Rose Canada, February 2012.
- “Niqab on the Stand,” Osgoode Hall Law School, January 2012.
- “Canada (Attorney General) v PHS Community Services Society,” Ministry of the Attorney General, Administrative Law Practice Group Meeting, December 2011.
- Sixth Annual Conference on Student Publishing in Law, Faculty of Law, University of Toronto, March 2011.
Memberships and activities
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- The Advocates’ Society
- Contributing editor, Commercial Litigation and Arbitration Review
On August 30, 2018 the Court of Appeal for Ontario issued six long-awaited decisions on legislation targeting strategic lawsuits against public participation..
September 04, 2018
The Ontario Superior Court of Justice dismissed the defendants’ motion for summary judgment in Apotex’s action for s. 8 damages..
March 20, 2017
Global legal practice Norton Rose Fulbright has today announced a total of 51 partner promotions worldwide. .
April 24, 2015
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada announces that a 16 of its lawyers and patent agents have been admitted to the partnership and named Of Counsel.
December 16, 2014