Lance (English and South African qualified) is a director in our pan-African team based in Durban.
He is a private equity, investment funds and regulatory lawyer, and has extensive experience in African private equity funds. He heads up our South African Investment Funds Practice, which is ranked Tier 1 by Legal500 2013.
Prior to joining the practice in 2008, Lance spent over eight years working in London. He was a member of another leading international law firm’s Financial Markets Department, where he primarily advised on alternative fund structures. Lance subsequently joined The Royal Bank of Scotland Plc, where he was responsible for advising the Bank relative to its investment funds, both alternative and traditional, including hedge funds, private equity funds, UCITS funds, liquidity funds and property funds. His clients have included Absa Bank, African Agriculture Fund, Aureos Capital, Catalyst Principal Partners, Chayton Capital, Government Employees Pension Fund, Novare Equity Partners, Peregrine, Phatisa Property Fund Managers, Sanlam Capital Markets and Unilever South Africa. He has also acted for various development finance institutions, including Agence Française de Développement (AFD), African Development Bank (AfDB) and Industrial Development Corporation (IDC).
Lance obtained a BCom in 1993 and an LLB in 1995, both from the University of KwaZulu-Natal. He is a national of both the United Kingdom and South Africa and is dual qualified, having been admitted as an attorney in South Africa in 1998 and as a solicitor in England and Wales in 2002.
Selected client work
- Advised Absa Bank on the sale by it of its interest in Absa Capital Private Equity Fund I to HarbourVest Partners and Coller Capital.
- Advised Sanlam Capital Markets on the establishment of the Sanlam Africa Floating Rate Credit Fund, a pan African credit fund established in Mauritius.
- Advised Phatisa Property Fund Managers on the establishment of the Pan African Housing Fund.
- Advised the sponsors, including Agence Française de Développement, African Development Bank and the Government of Spain, on the establishment of the US$243 million African Agriculture Fund established in Mauritius.
- Advised Catalyst Principal Partners on the establishment of the US$125 million Catalyst Fund I, an East African private equity fund.
The Alternative Investment Fund Managers Directive (the Directive) comes into force later this month and there is finally some momentum behind the implementation pro.
July 12, 2013
Today’s constantly changing business environment requires law firms that have intellectual capital, the breadth and depth of experience to deal with all kinds of ....
December 01, 2009
South African-led legal team advised Barclays Africa Group on the disposal of its 73.37% limited partner and related interests in Absa Capital Private Equity Fund..
February 13, 2014