Lance is an investment funds, regulatory and private equity lawyer based in Durban.
Lance heads up our Investment Funds Practice, which is ranked Tier 1 by Legal500 2014. He is recognised by International Who’s Who Legal for Private Funds 2015 as one of the world’s leading private funds lawyers.
Lance has significant experience in structuring alternative investment funds. He has advised a number of asset managers, institutional investors and development finance institutions relative to both domestic and offshore hedge fund, private equity fund and property fund structures as well as relative to fund investments.
Prior to joining the practice in 2008, Lance spent over eight years working in London. His clients have included Absa Bank, African Agriculture Fund, Aureos Capital, Catalyst Principal Partners, Government Employees Pension Fund, Novare Equity Partners, Peregrine, Phatisa, Sanlam Investments and Unilever South Africa. He has also acted for various development finance institutions, including Agence Française de Développement (AFD), African Development Bank (AfDB) and International Finance Corporation (IFC).
Lance obtained a BCom in 1993 and an LLB in 1995, both from the University of KwaZulu-Natal. He is dual qualified, having been admitted as an attorney in South Africa in 1998 and as a solicitor in England and Wales in 2002.
Selected client work
- Advised Absa Bank on the sale by it of its interest in Absa Capital Private Equity Fund I to HarbourVest Partners and Coller Capital.
- Advised Sanlam Investments on the establishment of the Sanlam Africa Credit Investments Limited, a pan African credit fund established in Mauritius.
- Advised Phatisa Property Fund Managers on the establishment of the Pan African Housing Fund.
- Advised the sponsors, including Agence Française de Développement, African Development Bank and the Government of Spain, on the establishment of the US$243 million African Agriculture Fund established in Mauritius.
- Advised Catalyst Principal Partners on the establishment of the US$125 million Catalyst Fund I, an East African private equity fund.
From 1 April 2015 hedge funds became collective investments schemes and are now regulated by the Collective Investment Schemes Control Act 2002 (CISCA).
July 03, 2015
In the first formal step toward hedge fund regulation in South Africa, National Treasury has published a s63 declaration under the Collective Investment Schemes....
March 06, 2015
Global legal practice Norton Rose Fulbright has advised UK-based social impact investor AgDevCo and KfW, the German development bank, on the establishment of....
June 08, 2015
Andrew Wellsted, Lance Roderick and Stephen Kennedy-Good wrote a chapter on Private equity in South Africa: market and regulatory overview for Practical Law..
November 19, 2014