Pierre A. Michaud, OC, OQ, QC, Ad E (The Honourable)
Pierre Michaud has argued major cases before all the courts of Quebec and the Supreme Court of Canada. He has served on a number of commissions of inquiry, including the MacDonald inquiry into certain conduct of members of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. Mr. Michaud has practised principally in civil, commercial and administrative law. His counsel is often sought on insurance and liability issues due to his extensive knowledge.
In 1983, Mr. Michaud was appointed to the bench of the Quebec Superior Court, becoming Associate Chief Justice in 1992. In 1994, he was appointed Chief Justice of the Quebec Court of Appeal. Throughout his judicial career, Mr. Michaud adjudicated over a thousand cases touching every branch of law. He helped design and implement a highly successful mediation service at the Court of Appeal.
In 2002, Mr. Michaud retired as Chief Justice of Quebec to join us as counsel, focusing on advising in appellate matters as well as on matters of national and international arbitration. He frequently acts as a mediator.
B.A., Université de Montréal, 1957
LL.L., Université de Montréal, 1960
Rankings and recognitions
- Best Lawyers in Canada, 2010-2017: International Arbitration
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2012-2017: recommended in International Commercial Arbitration
- Canadian Who’s Who, 2014-2015
- Appointed Officer of the Order of Canada in January 2004
- Awarded the Quebec Bar’s highest distinction, the Médaille du Barreau du Québec, in 2008, for his remarkable contribution to law
- Appointed an Officer of the Ordre national du Québec in June 2015
Memberships and activities
- Canadian Bar Association
- Bar of Montreal
- Canadian Judicial Council (1992-2002)
- Vice-Chairman (1996-2002)
- Executive Committee (1993-2002)
- Chairperson, Special Committee on Public Information
- Vice Chairperson, Judicial Conduct Committee
- Judicial Independence Committee
- Working Committee, Ethical Principles for Judges
- Former guest professor, Advocacy Techniques, Faculty of Law, Université de Montréal