Alexandra Shields is an employment and labour lawyer based in Sydney, having been with the firm since 2007.
Alexandra's expertise are across all areas of employment, workplace relationships and industrial relations law for public and private sector clients, with very strong experience in workplace litigation, including discrimination, sexual harassment and equal opportunity claims, unfair and unlawful dismissals and Consumer Law claims.
Alexandra has a sound understanding of her clients' businesses and provides a practical and solutions-focussed approach.
With a strong government practice, Alexandra is a trusted advisor to many government agencies on contentious and non-contentious matters, having also spent a substantial amount of time on in-house secondments within various agencies.
Alexandra regularly represents and advocates for clients in conciliations and hearings in various jurisdictions and has expertise in the following:
- strategic employment, discrimination and industrial relations advice;
- advising on matters involving employee management and termination of employment strategies;
- workplace investigations;
- drafting employment contracts and policies;
- unfair dismissal and termination of employment claims;
- unlawful discrimination claims; and
- workplace training.
Alexandra is a regular presenter at client and external industry seminars on various aspects of employment law.
- Bachelor of Laws (First Class Honours), University of Technology, Sydney, 2004
- Bachelor of Communications (Journalism), University of Technology, Sydney, 2004
- Communications (Exchange Program), University of Austin, Texas, 2003
- High Court of Australia 2008
- Supreme Court of New South Wales 2005
- Crown Leadership International Group Employment Law Australia Masterclasses in 2013, 2015; 2017
- The Law Society of NSW - Annual "Workplace & Safety Law" seminar in 2015;
- Konnect Learning Employment Law events in 2014 and twice in 2015;
- 48th Annual AIFST Convention session on Employment Law Essentials in 2015; and
- The Executive Connection TECR Presentation in 2014.
Alexandra received feedback from those events describing her as "at the top of her game".
Memberships and activities
- Member of Law Society of New South Wales
- Member of Womens Lawyers Association of Australia