Fernando F. Fernández Barroso
Fernando Fernández Barroso has more than 30 years of experience in tax advice, tax compliance and tax consulting.
Mr. Fernández Barroso has extensive experience in Latin American tax consulting. He specializes in tax litigation and tax consulting/planning, with emphasis on financial and accounting matters, specifically as applied to corporate reorganizations and restructuring, mergers and acquisitions, international double taxation, services joint ventures and consortia, cross-border leasing and financing structures, mainly in the oil and gas, telecommunications, utilities, technology and manufacturing sectors.
Before joining our Caracas office in 2005, Mr. Fernández Barroso was admitted to a leading international tax consulting firm as a tax partner in 1985, after heading the tax practices of two other major international tax firms in Venezuela where he acted as regional partner in charge of the tax practices of the Andean countries. Mr. Fernández Barroso is recognized as a leading tax lawyer in cross-border structuring in Venezuela by World Tax 2006, the comprehensive guide to the world’s leading tax firms. He is also listed as a leading practitioner in the Chambers Global publication The World’s Leading Lawyers.
Law degree, Universidad Santa Maria de Venezuela, 1976
Tax Specialization, Universidad Central de Venezuela, 1979
Rankings and recognitions
- Chambers Latin America, Venezuela 2017: Band 1: Tax. (Ranked since 2013 edition)
- Latin America Corporate Counsel Association, 2015, 2016: Tax
- IFLR1000: Latin America, 2016 – Leading lawyer in Tax (Ranked since 2013 edition)
- Author and co-author of articles for various national newspapers such as “The 1986 Income Tax Reform,” “The Novel Tax Adjustment for Inflation” in connection with the 1991 income tax reform.
- Speaker at various international and Venezuelan forums, chambers of commerce and trade associations
Memberships and activities
- Professor, Tax, Universidad Catolica Andrés Bello, School of Economics and Business Administration
- Capital District Bar Association
On September 19, 2017, under the framework of the National Economic Emergency Decree, the President of the Republic passed Decree No. 3,085 published in Official Gazette No. 41,239 by which value added tax (VAT) rate reductions of 3% and 5% were established for the following sales of movable goods and services rendered to individuals and legal entities, when paid through electronic means:.
September 28, 2017
The national tax authorities (SENIAT) adjusted the value of the tax unit (TU) from 177.00 Bs. (bolivars) to 300.00 Bs..
March 06, 2017
Norton Rose Fulbright took home four awards at International Tax Review's Americas Tax Awards 2016, which "celebrate the most innovative tax and transfer pricing advice of 2015/2016 and the in-house teams, firms and individuals that were part of it.".
September 16, 2016
Norton Rose Fulbright is pleased to announce that the IFLR1000 2015 highlighted Latin American members in practice areas and top lawyers categories for 2015. .
July 13, 2015