Janne Duncan is a business lawyer with more than 25 years of experience advising public and private enterprises and their boards on often sensitive mandates. In addition to her more traditional securities law practice involving transactions, corporate finance, IPOs and commercial agreements, she helps clients design new business models that navigate complex legal and regulatory environments, and proactively mitigate risk by implementing governance strategies and best practices in the areas of take-over bid defenses, executive compensation, corporate social responsibility, business ethics and anti-corruption, human rights, supply chain management, stakeholder engagement and public disclosure. Supported by the firm’s global platform, she has worked extensively for financial institutions (with a unique specialty in repo transactions) and for mining and agri-business companies operating in Canada and globally.
Ms. Duncan is very involved in women’s initiatives in the mining space, including the 30% Club Canada where she chairs the steering committee responsible for the extractive sector, and serves as legal advisor to many leading not-for-profit Canadian arts and human rights organizations, including PEN Canada (board member), Institute for Canadian Citizenship, Necessary Angel Theatre Company (board member) and Art Canada Institute.
She speaks and teaches widely in the areas of mining, governance, executive compensation, corporate social responsibility and disclosure best practices, and co-leads the Women in Line for Leadership board-readiness program for women in the extractive sector co-sponsored by Norton Rose Fulbright Canada and KPMG.
LL.B., Queen's University, 1988
M.A., Queen's University, 1985
B.A.(Hons.), University of Toronto, 1984
- Agrium Inc. in its US$36-billion merger of equals transaction with Potash Corporation of Saskatchewan Inc.
- Agrium Inc. in its successful high-profile defence against JANA Partners LLC (May 2013)
- “Are You Risk Ready” (co-presenter Michael Torrance), Mine Latin America, November 14, 2016.
- “Disclosure Issues for Mining Companies Operating in Emerging Markets,” Federated Press, Toronto, September 17, 2014.
- “The Rise of Anti-Bribery Statutes and Cross-Border Synergy in Prosecutions,” New York State Bar International Section and Ontario Bar Association, March 28, 2014.
- “Compensation Governance - Getting it Right” (co‑presenter), Corporate Governance 2013: Meeting Shareholder Expectations, Lexpert, Toronto, December 3, 2013.
- “Financing Options for Mining Projects: Explore the latest trends, developments and risks associated with mining project finance” (co‑chair), Federated Press, September 23‑24, 2013.
- UN Global Compact Network Canada (anti-corruption facilitator/expert), Toronto, June 13, 2013.
- “Best-Laid Plans: Charting Your CSR Strategy, From Board Vision to On the Ground Implementation” (with Monica Ospina, o-Trade and Market Access), CIM Toronto Branch Luncheon, Toronto, June 7, 2012.
- “A Road Map for Corporate Social Responsibility in the Extractive Sector – Corporate Social Responsibility” (co‑chair), Norton Rose Canada LLP Full-Day Conference, Toronto, April 26, 2012.
- “Business Ethics & Anti-Corruption: Emerging International Norms in the Global Mining Industry” (co‑presenter), Norton Rose Canada LLP Seminar, Toronto, February 22, 2012.
- “Canadian Mine Finance 101,” Workshop with TSX/TSX-V and Equicom, Mines & Money Conference, London, UK, 2006‑2011.
Memberships and activities
- 30% Club Canada
- Women in Line for Leadership
- Ontario Bar Association
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada
- Women in Capital Markets
- Women in Mining
- Canadian Music Council
- Adjunct professor, comparative corporate governance course, Queen’s Law School, 2007 and 2009
- PEN Canada
- Board Member and Secretary and Chair of the Legal Affairs Committee, 2011 to present
- Necessary Angel Theatre Company
- Board Member and Secretary, 2010 to present
Norton Rose Fulbright invites you to the Canadian launch of our global Human Rights Due Diligence Report and Supply Chains Forum on June 12, 2018..
Tuesday, June 12, 2018
Join us for our Artificial Intelligence (AI) summit which will cover a range of business, ethical and legal issues around the topic of artificial intelligence..
Wednesday, November 15, 2017
On May 9, 2017, Ontario passed the Aggregate Resources and Mining Modernization Act (Act)..
May 24, 2017
The Court of Appeal for British Columbia has reversed the lower court’s decision in Garcia v Tahoe Resources Inc., adding to the growing body of Canadian jurisprudence that supports the assumption of jurisdiction over allegations of human rights violations by foreign subsidiaries of Canadian-based companies. .
March 20, 2017