Ramón Alvins Ramón joined our Caracas office as a partner in 2001. Previously, he practised at another international firm for 10 years and in a local firm for five years. He specializes in litigation and arbitration. He also has vast experience in corporate and civil law and in commercial and civil litigation (in matters related to property and family law) as well as labour and administrative law. He has participated in several procedures related to bankruptcy and reorganization files. In addition, Mr. Alvins has a strong background in insurance litigation.
Mr. Alvins has participated in arbitration procedures both in Venezuela and abroad and is frequently requested to advise on related matters. He has extensive experience in negotiating and obtaining settlements and agreements generally related to the aforementioned procedures. He has acted in constitutional injunctions and appeals for annulment.
Mr. Alvins served as a judge pro tem of the Commercial and Civil Court of Justice in First Instance of the judicial district of the Caracas Metropolitan area between 1999 and 2002.
Year of call
LL.M. (Civil Procedural Law), University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1993
Law degree, Universidad Católica Andrés Bello, 1986
- “Enforcement of a foreign arbitration award,” VII Anniversary of the Law of Commercial Arbitration, Caracas, April 12 and 13, 2005.
- Lecturer at numerous seminars, both in Venezuela and abroad.
- The International Comparative Guide to Product Liability 2005 (co-author of chapter on Venezuela).
- The International Comparative Guide to International Arbitration 2005 (co-author of chapter on Venezuela).
- Insolvency and Restructuring (co-author of chapter on Venezuela), 2004 edition, Law Business Research.
- Mr. Alvins has published several articles on Venezuelan arbitration in different newspapers as well as in the law review of the Faculty of Law and Politics of Universidad Central de Venezuela (UCV).
Rankings and recognitions
- Latin America Corporate Counsel Association, 2015: Arbitration and Litigation
- Chambers Latin America, Venezuela 2015: Band 1: Dispute Resolution
- The Legal 500 Latin America 2014, Venezuela: Tier 1 leading lawyer in Dispute Resolution
- IFLR1000: Energy and Infrastructure: Latin America, 2013 – Leading lawyer in Corporate and Commercial; and Disputes
- Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2013: Energy & Natural Resources (Band 1)
- Chambers Latin America 2013 in the area of Dispute Resolution
- Best Lawyers 2012 – named Lawyer of the Year in the area of Litigation
- The Legal 500 Latin America, 2012: Tier 1 leading lawyer in Dispute Resolution
- Chambers Latin America 2008-2012: Venezuela: Dispute Resolution (Band 1)
- Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2008-2012: Venezuela: Dispute Resolution (Band 1)
- Best Lawyers’ 2012 Caracas Litigation “Lawyer of the Year”
- Who’s Who Legal, Venezuela – leading commercial litigation advisor
- Chambers & Partners, listed as an arbitrator
Memberships and activities
- Miranda State Bar Association
- International Bar Association
- Venezuelan-American Chamber of Commerce and Industry (VenAmCham)
- Former member of the Arbitration Committee
- Caracas Chamber of Commerce (arbitrator)
- Business Conciliation and Arbitration Center (CEDCA) (arbitrator)
- Professor of Civil Law III, Universidad Metropolitana (2005 - present)
- Professor of Civil Law III, Universidad Central de Venezuela (1994-2002)
Ramón J. Alvins will be speaking at this year's Latin American Arbitration Congress in Lima.
February 21, 2013
The Anti-Kidnapping and Extortion Law was published in Official Gazette No. 39.194 of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela on June 5, 2009 (the “Law”)..
June 19, 2009