In July 2008, Pedro Saghy joined our Caracas office as an associate. He has experience in all types of civil and commercial litigation and combines this background with experience in civil and commercial contracts as well as civil liability. Dr. Saghy also has experience in national and international arbitration proceedings.
Before joining us, Dr. Saghy worked at two prominent law offices in Caracas and Paris as a corporate and litigation legal consultant.
Year of call
Doctorate of Laws, Université Panthéon-Assas, Paris 2, 2012
DEA (General Private Law), Université Panthéon-Assas, Paris 2, 2005
DSU (Civil Law), Université Panthéon-Assas, Paris 2, 2004
Law degree, Universidad Católica Andrés Bello, 2000
- “The secretary of the Arbitral Tribunal,” Business Venezuela Magazine, April 2013.
- Chapter 45 (Venezuela) in The International Arbitration Review, Second Edition, Law Business Research Ltd., August 2011.
- “The arbitration agreement in Venezuelan Law – A critical analysis about its efficiency in recent court decisions in Venezuelan courts,” Arbitral Agreement Volume II, Peru, May 2011.
- “Resumen de Sentencias del año 2010," Judicial Review on Commercial Arbitration in Venezuela, Caracas, January 2011.
- “Rapport Du Droit Vénézuélien de Succession et Contrats Journées Roumaines (Bucarest et Cluj Napoca)” (co-author), Association Henri Capitant, Des amis de la culture juridique francaise, Caracas, 2010.
- “Venezuelan Supreme Tribunal Issues Fundamental Decision on Arbitration” (co-author), Latin American Law & Business Report, Volume 16, Number 11, November 30, 2008.
- “La facultad probatoria de las partes en los casos de simulación de contrato. (Nuevo cambio de criterio),” Journal of the College of Political and Legal Sciences, Universidad Central de Venezuela No. 131, Caracas, May 2008.
- “BIT Termination and the Survival Clause. What does the concept of protection of investments made prior to termination of the BIT actually cover?” (co-author), Caracas 2008.
- “La convención de arbitraje. Por el avance de la justicia estatal frente al arbitraje comercial,” Journal of the College of Law of Universidad Central de Venezuela, No. 129, Caracas, September 2007.
- “20 años del Código de Procedimiento Civil. Criticas a su reforma jurisprudencial,” Bulletin of the College of Political and Legal Sciences, Caracas, July 2007.
Selected client work
Dr. Saghy has acted for the following clients recently:
- A well-known international French energy solution and transport company in connection with a US$9 million contract dispute (Arbitration -Venezuela)
- One of the leading Venezuelan franchises in connection with a dispute arising out of breach of contract and the use of confidential information (Arbitration - Venezuela)
- A Brazilian and a Dutch company in connection with a dispute arising out of an engineering contract for the expansion of a fertilizer plant in Venezuela (Arbitration - Brazil)
- The parties to several international proceedings in connection with both contractual and international investment protection disputes arising out of the expropriation wave in Venezuela (Arbitration)
- Rusoro Mining Ltd. in the acquisition of Gold Fields’ Venezuelan assets and Hecla Mining Company’s Venezuelan assets
- Rusoro Mining Ltd. in structuring a US$80 million financing loan agreement with Peter Hambro Mining plc
Rankings and recognitions
- Chambers Latin America 2013 in the area of Dispute Resolution
- Chambers & Partners, Dispute Resolution: Venezuela, listed in "Associates to Watch" for "...client and peer praise for his impressive academic credentials."
- Fundayacucho - French Embassy in Venezuela, 2003
Memberships and activities
- Miranda State Bar Association
- Caracas Chamber of Commerce (arbitrator)
- Association Andrés Bello de juristes franco-latino-américains
- JURISFRAVEN (Asociación franco venezolano de juristas) (Treasurer July 2008 - Current)