Pedro Saghy joined our Caracas office in 2008 as an associate. He has experience in all types of civil and commercial litigation and combines this background with experience in civil and commercial contracts as well as civil liability. Dr. Saghy also has experience in national and international arbitration proceedings.
Before joining us, Dr. Saghy worked at two prominent law offices in Caracas and Paris as a corporate and litigation legal consultant.
Year of call
Doctorate of Laws, Université Panthéon-Assas, Paris 2, 2012
DEA (General Private Law), Université Panthéon-Assas, Paris 2, 2005
DSU (Civil Law), Université Panthéon-Assas, Paris 2, 2004
Law degree, Universidad Católica Andrés Bello, 2000
- “General principles of arbitration,” Second Venezuelan Congress on National & International Arbitration, AVA (Venezuelan Arbitration Association), Caracas, April 6, 2016.
- Corporate Law (panellist), VIIth International Conference of the Association Andrés Bello des juristes franco-latino-américains, São Paulo, November 9 and 10, 2015.
- “ICC YAF: Tools for a good arbitration,” International Chamber of Commerce, Santo Domingo, April 22, 2015.
- “Analysis table: Foreign Investment Law, Does it facilitate investment in priority sectors?” Caracas Chamber of Commerce, March 26, 2015.
- “Nuevas tendencias en el derecho privado y reforma del Código Civil Francés,” Jornadas Franco-Venezolanas de derecho civil, Caracas, February 14‑15, 2014.
- “El Poder de los Árbitros: Mitos y Realidades,” ICC Young Arbitrators Forum, Bogotá, February 6, 2014.
- “The secretary of the Arbitral Tribunal,” Business Venezuela Magazine, April 2013.
- Chapter 45 (Venezuela) in The International Arbitration Review, Second Edition, Law Business Research Ltd., August 2011.
- “The arbitration agreement in Venezuelan Law – A critical analysis about its efficiency in recent court decisions in Venezuelan courts,” Arbitral Agreement Volume II, Peru, May 2011.
- “Resumen de Sentencias del año 2010," Judicial Review on Commercial Arbitration in Venezuela, Caracas, January 2011.
- “Rapport Du Droit Vénézuélien de Succession et Contrats Journées Roumaines (Bucarest et Cluj Napoca)” (co-author), Association Henri Capitant, Des amis de la culture juridique francaise, Caracas, 2010.
- “Venezuelan Supreme Tribunal Issues Fundamental Decision on Arbitration” (co-author), Latin American Law & Business Report, Volume 16, Number 11, November 30, 2008.
- “La facultad probatoria de las partes en los casos de simulación de contrato. (Nuevo cambio de criterio),” Journal of the College of Political and Legal Sciences, Universidad Central de Venezuela No. 131, Caracas, May 2008.
- “BIT Termination and the Survival Clause. What does the concept of protection of investments made prior to termination of the BIT actually cover?” (co-author), Caracas 2008.
- “La convención de arbitraje. Por el avance de la justicia estatal frente al arbitraje comercial,” Journal of the College of Law of Universidad Central de Venezuela, No. 129, Caracas, September 2007.
- “20 años del Código de Procedimiento Civil. Criticas a su reforma jurisprudencial,” Bulletin of the College of Political and Legal Sciences, Caracas, July 2007.
Selected client work
Dr. Saghy acted recently in the following matters:
- A dispute relating to an insurance contract, as sole arbitrator appointed by the institution (The Business Center for Conciliation and Arbitration)
- A dispute relating to breach of a share purchase agreement, as party-appointed arbitrator, Caracas Chamber (Caracas ICC)
- A contractual dispute between a bank and a borrower, Caracas Chamber of Commerce (ICC Venezuelan Chapter), 2013‑2014, as sole arbitrator
- A US$9 million contract dispute, acting for a well-known international French energy solution and transport company (Arbitration -Venezuela)
- A dispute arising out of breach of contract and the use of confidential information, acting for one of the leading Venezuelan franchises (Arbitration - Venezuela)
- A dispute arising out of an engineering contract for the expansion of a fertilizer plant in Venezuela, acting for a Brazilian and a Dutch company (Arbitration - Brazil)
- Several international proceedings in connection with contractual and international investment protection disputes arising out of the wave of expropriations in Venezuela (Arbitration)
- The acquisition of Gold Fields’ Venezuelan assets and Hecla Mining Company’s Venezuelan assets by Rusoro Mining Ltd.
- The structuring of a US$80 million financing loan agreement with Peter Hambro Mining plc for Rusoro Mining Ltd.
Rankings and recognitions
- Chambers Latin America, Venezuela 2015: Up and Coming: Dispute Resolution
- Chambers Latin America 2013 in the area of Dispute Resolution
- Chambers & Partners, Dispute Resolution: Venezuela, listed in “Associates to Watch” for “...client and peer praise for his impressive academic credentials.”
- Special guest, installation ceremony of the under-40 group of the Spanish Arbitration Club in Caracas
- Fundayacucho – French Embassy in Venezuela, 2003
Memberships and activities
- Miranda State Bar Association
- Caracas Chamber of Commerce (arbitrator)
- Association Andrés Bello de juristes franco-latino-américains
- JURISFRAVEN (Asociación franco venezolano de juristas) (Treasurer July 2008 - Current)
- Professor of Alternative Dispute Resolution Methods, Universidad Católica Andrés Bello
- Founding contributor of ITAFOR listserv: A primarily Spanish-Portuguese language listserv designed to foster discussion on arbitration and ADR topics pertinent to Latin America
- Founder of the Venezuelan Chapter of the Association Henri Capitant des amis de la culture juridique française
La vida transcurre en ciclos, en etapas, en periodos. Uno luengo del otro, el siguiente distino al anterior.
April 13, 2016
Introducción: La renuncia tácita al arbitraje. Estado actual; A) Críticas desde el punto de vista.
April 12, 2016