Laura is an energy project finance lawyer based in Dar es Salaam.
She qualified into our practices’ energy projects group in London in 2006 and has worked on a range of areas within the energy sector, including project finance, renewables, oil and gas, and commodity trading. She also spent three years working as in-house counsel at Drax Power Limited, a major coal and biomass fired power plant in the United Kingdom. Laura focusses on advising governments, developers, lenders and investors on power projects in Africa and moved to our Dar es Salaam office in August 2014. She has also presented at power project workshops in London, Tanzania, South Africa and Kenya, and speaks Swahili.
- Advising the sponsors in relation to the financing and project document aspects of a 342 MW combined cycle gas turbine (CCGT) power project in southern Tanzania.
- Advising the developer on all aspects of a 40MW first-in-country solar PV project in Western Kenya, including negotiation of a power purchase agreement with Kenya Power and Lighting Company under Kenya’s REFiT policy.
- Advising a joint venture on a second in-country 40MW solar PV project in Kenya, including negotiation of a power purchase agreement with KPLC under the REFiT policy.
- Advising a bidder in respect of the project documents for a captive solar PV diesel hybrid project in Tanzania.
- Advising a development fund on the joint development agreement in respect of a portfolio of mini-hydro power projects in Kenya.
- Advising sponsors in relation to the structuring, power purchase agreement and coal supply aspects of a 150MW coal (CFB) power station to be constructed in Mozambique.
- Advising the developer on the negotiation of a power purchase agreement in respect of a portfolio of hydropower projects in Kenya.
- Advising a major solar developer on a share purchase agreement in respect of a solar PV project in Kenya.
- Advising a contractor on the structuring and regulatory aspects of a hybrid 3MWp solar photovoltaic plant with an estimated 2MW of battery storage in Rwanda.
- Advised the developer, Gigawatt Global, on all aspects of the development and financing of a 8.5MW solar PV project located at the Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Eastern Province, Rwanda. This project reached financial close in February 2014, and is the first utility scale solar project in East Africa.
- Advised the Zimbabwe Power Company on power purchase agreement negotiations with the Zimbabwe Electricity Transmission and Distribution Company and regulatory issues for the Kariba South 1,050MW hydropower station expansion.
- Advised a syndicate of development finance institutions on an agro-energy project at Bagomoyo in Tanzania, involving production and offtake of power and bio-ethanol from sugar cane plantations.
- Advised an investor on a joint development agreement for a 5MW biomass project on a major plantation in Kenya.
- Advising an investment fund on the joint development agreement for a portfolio of hydropower projects in Kenya.
- Advising the developer on the procurement aspects and negotiation of a power purchase agreement in respect of a portfolio of wind projects in Tanzania.
- Advising the developer on the negotiation of a power purchase agreement in respect of a 10MW solar PV project in Rwanda.
Hybrid projects combining battery storage with solar photovoltaic (PV) are continuing to grow in popularity in developed markets due to their ability to maximize renewable energy; storing excess energy generated that can then be utilized at a later time..
June 12, 2018
Governments and utilities in sub-Saharan Africa are sending a clear message in recent meetings that what really interests them is solar projects with battery storage..
June 05, 2018
Global law firm Norton Rose Fulbright, working in partnership with Global Infrastructure Hub (GI Hub), has rolled out the second series of Public-Private Partnership (PPP) Risk Allocation workshops, which has provided training sessions to over 100 government officials from 22 countries in Singapore, Bangkok, Tanzania and Colombia..
November 22, 2017
Norton Rose Fulbright is pleased to announce a total of five promotions to director level and one to equity and five appointments:.
May 15, 2017