Craig Hoskins practises in a wide range of corporate finance and transactional areas. He advises public and private corporations, as well as underwriting groups and private equity investors, on mergers and acquisitions, equity and debt financing, and corporate governance matters, including foreign investment issues faced by international investors entering the Canadian marketplace.
Mr. Hoskins has significant experience advising private equity investors in a wide array of energy, technology, and manufacturing businesses as well as participants in the Alberta and Saskatchewan oil sands industries, pipeline and energy infrastructure industries, and advising in-bound investment from Asia.
He is regularly a speaker on corporate governance, corporate finance and foreign direct investment matters in Canada and Asia and serves as a corporate director for certain clients establishing businesses in Canada.
Year of call
LL.B., Osgoode Hall Law School, 1990
M.L.S., University of Alberta, 1986
B.Mus., University of Alberta, 1982
- “Managing Risks in Canada Investment and Business Activities in China,” panel presentation, CNOOC / Nexen Business Mission, Beijing, April 2015.
- “Traditional Responsibilities and New Challenges of the Corporate Secretary,” course leader and presenter, 15th Reinventing the Corporate Secretary Course, Federated Press, Calgary, October 15, 2014.
- “Doing Business in China,” panel presentation, CNOOC / Nexen Business Mission, Beijing, March 2014.
- “Emerging Trends and Implications of Foreign Investment in Canadian Energy,” 11th Annual M&A, Corporate Transactions and Emerging Opportunities Conference, Insight, Calgary, December 2013.
- “The Increasing Role of Canadian Municipalities in FDI Success,” Canada-China City Economic Cooperation Forum, panel presentation, Calgary, July 2013.
- “Canada’s Legal Environment and Investment Climate” (co-presenters: Christian Paradis, Bruce Graham), Canada-Hong Kong Investment Opportunities Conference, Hong Kong, April 2013.
- “Investing in Canada: Chinese State-Owned Enterprises,” China State-owned Assets Supervision and Administration Commission of the State Council, Outbound Investment Forum, Beijing, June 2012.
- “Investing in Canada,” 4th Annual GIC Outbound Investment Summit Conference, Beijing, June 2012.
- “Special Committees: Their Role in Addressing Risk,” 6th Board Risk Management Course, Federated Press, Calgary, March 2012.
- 9th Annual Advanced Mergers and Acquisitions Seminar (faculty member), Insight, Calgary, fall 2011.
Selected client work
The following is a selected list of transactions in which Mr. Hoskins has acted as lead counsel:
- A private Alberta oil and gas E&P company in connection with its $390 million private equity funding led by two major Calgary- and Houston-based private equity investors, including governance and ongoing M&A advice
- A Canadian TSX-listed energy company in respect of the acquisition of a suite of assets located in South America and owned by an LSE-listed company
- The private equity investment group of a major international oil and gas company in connection with a series of equity investments in two separate Canadian oil and gas technology companies, including governance and long-term service contract issues
- Touchstone Exploration Inc. in connection with its merger with TSX-listed Petrobank Energy & Resources by way of a plan of arrangement
- ENFRAC Inc. in connection with the exempt take-over bid acquisition by Millennium Stimulation Services, including negotiation of commercial performance and intellectual property development criteria for earn-out share consideration
- Petrogas Energy in respect of a two-stage $855 million controlling equity investment by AltaGas and Idemitsu Kosan, involving negotiation and drafting of complex governance arrangements
- OPTI Canada Inc. in connection with its recapitalization and sale to CNOOC Limited for $2.4 billion
- OPTI Canada Inc. on all equity and high-yield note offerings from 1999 until 2012 (in excess of $3.5 billion in value); served as corporate secretary and provided corporate and governance advice to OPTI Canada Inc. and its successor CNOOC Canada Inc.
- Richardson Capital respecting a variety of private equity investments in energy, retail and manufacturing business throughout Canada, including an approximately $25 million private equity investment in Petrobank Energy Resources Ltd. and its wholly owned oil sands and THAI technology unit, Whitesands Insitu Ltd., and in Richardson's subsequent disposition of the investment for $140
- The special committee of Kinder Morgan Energy Partners LP in connection with separate acquisitions of pipeline systems operating in Canada and the United States having transaction values of $549 million and $116 million
Rankings and recognitions
- IFLR (International Financial Law Review) 1000 - The Guide to the World's Leading Financial Law Firms - Leading lawyer in Financial and Corporate, 2015
- IFLR (International Financial Law Review) 1000 - The Guide to the World's Leading Financial Law Firms - Leading lawyer in Capital Markets, 2014
Memberships and activities
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Alberta
- Law Society of Upper Canada (Ontario)
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- Vice-Chair, Board of Directors, Honens International Piano Competition
- Counsel to Board of Directors, Calgary Inter-Faith Food Bank
- Private Canadian subsidiaries of international energy companies
- Chairman, Alberta Advisory Committee to the Canada-China Business Council
On November 29, 2012 the CSA adopted amendments to National Instrument 54-101 Communication with Beneficial Owners of Securities of a Reporting Issuer..
December 17, 2012
On November 9, 2012, the Ontario Securities Commission (OSC) released OSC Staff Notice 51-720 – Issuer Guide for Companies Operating in Emerging Markets..
November 13, 2012
Craig Hoskins comments in Canadian Lawyer on advising state-owned enterprises looking to invest and grow in Canada’s energy sector..
March 03, 2014
Craig Hoskins comments in a special report on energy on what’s driving the long-term and short-term outlooks for investment in the Canadian oil sands..
November 21, 2013