Craig Hoskins practises in a wide range of corporate finance and transactional areas. He advises public and private corporations, as well as underwriting groups and private equity investors, on mergers and acquisitions, equity and debt financing, and corporate governance matters, including foreign investment issues faced by international investors entering the Canadian marketplace.
Mr. Hoskins has significant experience advising private equity investors in a wide array of energy, technology, and manufacturing businesses as well as participants in the Alberta and Saskatchewan oil sands industries, pipeline and energy infrastructure industries, and advising in-bound investment from Asia.
He regularly speaks on corporate governance, corporate finance and foreign direct investment matters in Canada and Asia and serves as a corporate director for certain clients establishing businesses in Canada.
LL.B., Osgoode Hall Law School, 1990
M.L.S., University of Alberta, 1986
B.Mus., University of Alberta, 1982
The following is a selected list of transactions in which Mr. Hoskins has acted as lead counsel:
- Independent counsel to the special committee of a TSX-listed corporation in respect of a series of confidential strategic equity and joint venture arrangements with retail and manufacturing industry partners involving M&A and corporate governance matters, including shareholder agreement matters
- A private Alberta oil and gas E&P company in connection with its $440 million private equity funding led by two major Calgary- and Houston-based private equity investors, including governance and ongoing M&A advice
- The senior management team in connection with the sale by a major North American utilities, energy and logistics company of its subsidiary emissions management division with operations in Canada, the USA and Mexico to a private equity fund; led a team of lawyers negotiating governance, employment, credit arrangements and tax matters relating to the new enterprise and follow-on restructuring transactions in connection with post-closing corporate acquisitions
- Petrogas Energy in respect of a two-stage $855 million controlling equity investment by AltaGas and Idemitsu Kosan, involving negotiation and drafting of complex governance arrangements
- The private equity investment group of a major international oil and gas company in connection with a series of equity investments in two separate Canadian oil and gas technology companies, including governance and long-term service contract issues
- Touchstone Exploration Inc. in its merger with TSX-listed Petrobank Energy & Resources by way of a plan of arrangement and its IPO on the AIM market of the London Stock Exchange
- OPTI Canada Inc. in its recapitalization and sale to CNOOC Limited for $2.4 billion
- Richardson Capital respecting a variety of private equity investments in energy, retail and manufacturing business throughout Canada, including an approximately $25 million private equity investment in Petrobank Energy Resources Ltd. and its wholly owned oil sands and THAI technology unit, Whitesands Insitu Ltd., and in Richardson's subsequent disposition of the investment for $140
- OPTI Canada Inc. on all equity and high-yield note offerings from 1999 until 2012 (in excess of $3.5 billion in value); served as corporate secretary and provided corporate and governance advice to OPTI Canada Inc. and its successor CNOOC Canada Inc.
- The special committee of Kinder Morgan Energy Partners LP in connection with separate acquisitions of pipeline systems operating in Canada and the United States having transaction values of $549 million and $116 million
- Alberta 1995
- Ontario 1992
Rankings and recognitions
- Acritas StarsTM 2018 – Designated as a "Star" lawyer by a panel of over 4,300 clients
- Acritas StarsTM 2017 – Designated as a “Star” lawyer by a panel of over 3,000 global senior in-house counsel
- IFLR (International Financial Law Review) 1000 (2014, 2017, 2018): Leading lawyer in Capital Markets
- IFLR (International Financial Law Review) 1000 (2015): Leading lawyer in Financial and Corporate
- “Corporate Governance: Managing Risk,” CNPC/ PetroChina Global Oil and Gas Seminar, Mount Royal University, Calgary, June 2015.
- “Managing Risks in Canada Investment and Business Activities in China,” panel presentation, CNOOC / Nexen Business Mission, Beijing, April 2015.
- “Traditional Responsibilities and New Challenges of the Corporate Secretary,” course leader and presenter, 15th Reinventing the Corporate Secretary Course, Federated Press, Calgary, October 15, 2014.
- “Doing Business in China,” panel presentation, CNOOC / Nexen Business Mission, Beijing, March 2014.
- “Emerging Trends and Implications of Foreign Investment in Canadian Energy,” 11th Annual M&A, Corporate Transactions and Emerging Opportunities Conference, Insight, Calgary, December 2013.
- “The Increasing Role of Canadian Municipalities in FDI Success,” Canada-China City Economic Cooperation Forum, panel presentation, Calgary, July 2013.
- “Canada’s Legal Environment and Investment Climate” (co-presenters: Christian Paradis, Bruce Graham), Canada-Hong Kong Investment Opportunities Conference, Hong Kong, April 2013.
- “Investing in Canada: Chinese State-Owned Enterprises,” China State-owned Assets Supervision and Administration Commission of the State Council, Outbound Investment Forum, Beijing, June 2012.
- “Investing in Canada,” 4th Annual GIC Outbound Investment Summit Conference, Beijing, June 2012.
- “Special Committees: Their Role in Addressing Risk,” 6th Board Risk Management Course, Federated Press, Calgary, March 2012.
Memberships and activities
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Alberta
- Law Society of Ontario
- Chairman, Board of Directors, Honens International Piano Competition
- Counsel to Board of Directors, Calgary Inter-Faith Food Bank
- Chairman, Alberta Advisory Committee to the Canada-China Business Council
Imagine checking out a bargain sale at your favourite store..
June 19, 2015
In less than 140 characters, a customer or employee can thoroughly trash your corporate brand..
June 19, 2015
Craig Hoskins interviewed on Canadian cross-border deal making..
December 14, 2016
Craig Hoskins comments in Canadian Lawyer on the potential for more mergers and acquisitions in Canada’s energy sector in 2015..
June 23, 2015