Meredith K. MacDonald
Meredith MacDonald practises business law, with a focus on technology enterprises and intellectual property.
During her law studies she completed an internship with the federal Department of Justice in the human rights law section as well as an internship in the Electronic Commerce Branch of Industry Canada.
Year of call
LL.B., University of Ottawa, 2010
B.B.A., St. Francis Xavier University, 2007
- “Protecting Confidential Information and Trade Secrets in your Organization” (presenter), Technology and IP issues for energy companies, Calgary, November 14, 2012.
- “Copyright Update” (co‑presenter), Canadian Bar Association Alberta Branch, Technology & Intellectual Property Law Section, Calgary, November 8, 2012.
- “Copyright Law in Canada - An Introduction to Canada’s Copyright System” (co‑presenter), Calgary Legal Guidance Seminar, Calgary, June 6, 2012.
- “The Law and Social Media” and “Moving Target or Moving Forward? Regulating the Technology Space in Canada: Updates on Anti-Spam and Copyright Legislation” (co‑presenter), presentations at a Digital Alberta Seminar, Calgary, April 2012.
- “Law and Social Media” (co‑presenter), Creating Content in the Film, Television and Digital Worlds Conference, Banff, Alberta, November 2011.
- “There’s Not an App for that” (co‑presenter), Brand Plus Seminar, Calgary, August 2011.
- “Canada’s Detainee Transfers in Afghanistan, An Overview of Potential Legal Implications for Canadian Officials” (co-author), submitted to the House of Commons Special Committee on the Canadian Mission in Afghanistan, April 2010.
Rankings and recognitions
- Dean’s Honours List, University of Ottawa, 2009-2010
- John E. Read Prize for the highest standing in the International Law course, 2009
- Dean’s Honours List, St. Francis Xavier University, 2004-2007
- University In Course Scholarships, St. Francis Xavier University, 2005 and 2006
Memberships and activities
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Alberta
- Volunteer Lawyer for Calgary Legal Guidance, Calgary, January 2014- present
- Rapporteur at the Canadian Council for International Law Annual Conference, 2009
- Volunteer Legal Researcher, Pro Bono Students Canada, 2008-2009
- Digital Media Association of Alberta
- Director and Governance Chair (April 2012- present)
Norton Rose Canadian Technology and Intellectual property group host a half-day seminar on November 14 in Calgary..
November 09, 2012