Catherine Simard practises corporate and securities law, with particular emphasis on corporate governance. She advises a number of Canadian public companies on continuous disclosure obligations, governance issues and the conduct of shareholders' meetings. Ms. Simard frequently reviews the governance policies and practices of public and private Canadian corporations and advises boards and management on director and officer liability. She also advises financial institutions on applicable regulatory matters.
Ms. Simard serves as a member of our Montreal students' committee as well as the Norton Rose Fulbright Women's Network.
She holds bachelor's degrees in both civil and common law from McGill University. She also holds a master of laws from the London School of Economics and Political Science, where she obtained the law department prize for best overall mark.
LL.M., London School of Economics and Political Science, 2010
B.C.L./LL.B, McGill University, 2008
Rankings and recognitions
- Law Department Prize for Best Overall Mark, London School of Economics and Political Science
- One Essex Court Prize for International Business Law, London School of Economics and Political Science
- Gerald Tritt Prize for highest standing in Special Contracts, McGill University
- Regularly gives presentations on new developments and best practices in the field of governance.
Memberships and activities
- Institute of Corporate Directors – Quebec chapter
- Member, committee organizing seminars and trainings
- Montreal Symphony Orchestra Foundation
Following a conference at our Montreal offices where representatives of institutional shareholders and the Autorité des marchés financiers (AMF, Quebec’s securities regulator) were panelists, we present our recommendations when preparing for the upcoming proxy season..
November 23, 2018
On June 13, the Quebec National Assembly passed Bill 141, An Act mainly to improve the regulation of the financial sector, the protection of deposits of money and the operation of financial institutions (the Act). .
August 01, 2018