Kristian W. Gluck
Kristian Gluck is a partner in the Financial Restructuring and Insolvency Group. He has a diverse, nationwide practice ranging from representing creditors, such as banks, hedge funds and large institutional lenders, to debtors, in complex restructurings and reorganizations both in and out of bankruptcy court and related litigation.
Nationally significant cases in which he has been involved and represented major constituents include Quicksilver Resources, Mirant, Calpine, Sabine Oil & Gas, EFH, BPZ Energy, Samson Resources, CHC Group, Midstates Petroleum, C&J Energy, Idearc, North American Petroleum, Overseas Shipholding Group, Woodside Homes and East Cameron Partners.
Previously, Kristian served for two years as law clerk to the Honorable Harold C. Abramson, United States Bankruptcy Judge for the Northern District of Texas.
2001 – J.D., George Mason University School of Law
1994 – B.A., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
During his time in law school, Kristian served as Notes Editor for the Federal Circuit Bar Journal and was a member of the Journal of International Legal Studies.
Kristian is admitted to practice law in Texas, North Carolina and Alabama. He appears before bankruptcy and federal courts in bankruptcy cases throughout the country.
- Corporate restructuring and insolvency cases, including serving as debtors' counsel in the largest bankruptcy case ever filed in the state of Texas with debts of over $10 billion
- Advising secured and unsecured lenders and creditors
- Purchasing assets from bankruptcy cases
- All aspects of bankruptcy litigation, including avoidance actions (i.e., preference and fraudulent conveyance matters) and adversary proceedings seeking recharacterization
- Debtor-in-possession financing arrangements
- Out-of-court restructuring agreements
- Representation of the trustee of a Sukuk trust, and various holders of Sukuk certificates, in the first Islamic financing bankruptcy in the United States
- Negotiation of assumption, rejection, and/or assignment of various types of executory contracts and unexpired leases
Rankings and recognitions
- Co-author, "On the Waterfront - Restructuring International Shipping Companies," Legalseas, July 2016
- Co-author, "Overseas Shipholding Group: A Case Study for Effective Use of US Bankruptcy Laws," Legalseas, November 2014
- Co-author, "Fifth Circuit Holds That Bankruptcy Reorganization Plan May Artificially and Immaterially Impair Class Claims to Confirm Through Cramdown," Fulbright Briefing, March 12, 2013
- Co-author, "Fifth Circuit Addresses Standards Associated With Preserving Causes Of Action In Plans of Reorganization and a Debtor's Standing to Pursue Them," Fulbright Briefing, December 4, 2012
- "Amended Texas Property Code Resolves Bankruptcy Court Dispute: Recorded Absolute Assignments of Rent Are Security Interests," Fulbright Briefing, July 6, 2011
- Co-author, "Recognizing and Fulfilling Fiduciary Duties in the Bankruptcy Zone," 2008 Jay L. Westbrook Bankruptcy Conference, November 13-14, 2008
- Co-author, "A Post-BAPCPA Look At Lease Assumption And Rejection, Key Employee Incentive Plans, And Reclamation," State Bar Of Texas, 25th Annual Advanced Business Bankruptcy Course, February 22-23, 2007
- "Bankruptcy Impact on Key Constituencies," in-house legal presentation, Las Colinas, Texas, May 2009
Memberships and activities
- State Bars of Texas, North Carolina and Alabama
- Dallas Bar Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Heart House Dallas – Member, Board of Directors
- Visible Music College - Member, Board of Trustees
SCOTUS Merit decision significantly impacts the ability of a plaintiff to prosecute avoidance actions.
March 15, 2018
The past eight years have seen unprecedented levels of distress in the shipping industry, with weak demand leading to depressed and unpredictable charter and freight rates and overcapacity in international shipping markets..
July 12, 2016
Global law firm Norton Rose Fulbright has advised Cell C, the third largest mobile operator in South Africa, in relation to the cross-border debt capital markets (DCM), bank finance and equity restructuring aspects of its substantial recapitalisation..
May 19, 2017