Megan Fanale Engel
Megan Fanale Engel joined the Washington, D.C. office in 2011. As a senior associate, she focuses her practice on health care matters, food and drug law issues, and government and internal investigations. Megan focuses on compliance and litigation, including regulatory and fraud and abuse issues in health care. In particular, she assists her healthcare clients in responding to government investigations alleging violations of the False Claims Act and in working through the various stages of litigation. Megan has worked with clients including hospitals, academic medical centers, pharmaceutical companies, medical device manufacturers, and other health care providers.
2011 - J.D., University of Virginia School of Law
2006 - B.S., Commerce, concentration in Finance and Marketing, University of Virginia
While at the University of Virginia School of Law, Megan was a member of the Virginia Law Review. As an undergraduate at the University of Virginia, she was a member of the University Judiciary Committee and the Honor Committee.
- Assists in the representation of hospitals, academic medical centers, national pharmacy retailers, and medical device manufacturer in False Claims Act government investigations and whistleblower litigation
- Represents health care clients in responding to subpoenas and civil investigative demands regarding alleged kickback issues or False Claims Act violations
- Assists in the representation of national retail pharmacies in investigating the effect of pharmacy discount programs on usual-and-customary pricing and compliance with federal and state anti-kickback acts and the Civil Monetary Penalties Law
- Represented an academic hospital system in False Claims Act whistleblower litigation alleging overbilling of certain claims
- Reviewed and advised national pharmacy retail chain regarding the pharmacies' continuing education programs for possible off-label promotion issues
- Advised medical device manufacturer on safe harbors to the Anti-Kickback statute
- Assisted pharmaceutical companies with complying with states' laws regarding wholesale, pharmacist employment, and valid prescription issues
- District of Columbia Bar
- Virginia State Bar
- Regular Contributor, Health Law Pulse, Norton Rose Fulbright Lifesciences & Healthcare Blog
- Co-author, "Risks Arise For Health Providers After FCA Overpayment Case," Law360, August 11, 2015
- Co-author, "Judge sides with government on FCA 60-day overpayment rule," Norton Rose Fulbright - Legal update, August 5, 2015
- Co-author, "Former executives guilty of food safety violations," Norton Rose Fulbright - Legal update, September 2014
- Co-author, "OIG issues alert on kickback trends for labs," Norton Rose Fulbright - Legal update, July 2014
- Co-author, "OIG Releases FY 2014 Work Plan," Norton Rose Fulbright - Legal update, February 5, 2014
In the first decision interpreting the 60-day overpayment rule of the False Claims Act, U.S. District Judge Edgardo Ramos of the Southern District of New York....
August 11, 2015
In the first decision interpreting the 60-day overpayment rule of the False Claims Act....
August 05, 2015