Heather L. Sherrod
As a senior associate in the labor and employment group, Heather's practice focuses on assisting employers and their management personnel with a variety of day-to-day legal issues, including updating and ensuring compliance of employment policies and handbooks, employment termination issues, confidentiality and non-compete issues, and employee or supervisor training. She regularly represents clients with various employment issues including the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), Title VII, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), the Texas Labor Code, and similar federal and state statutes and regulations.
During law school, Heather gained significant experience through internships for the Honorable Gray Miller of the US District Court for the Southern District of Texas; the Consumer Protection Division of the Office of the Texas Attorney General; the US Securities and Exchange Commission Enforcement Division; and the Honorable Martin Hoffman of the 68th Civil District Court in Dallas, Texas.
JD, magna cum laude, University of Houston Law Center, 2012
BA, high honors, Theater and Dance, The University of Texas at Austin, 2006
While in law school, Heather was a Notes & Comments Editor for the Houston Law Review and property tutor. At UT, she was a member of Phi Beta Kappa and participated in several University of Texas main stage theater productions. Heather is admitted to practice law in Texas.
- Obtained early dismissal for a retail client in a wage and hour dispute
- Assisted in obtaining favorable settlement for an environmental services client in a Fair Labor Standards Act lawsuit
- Assisted in representing of a construction client accused of willful and serious violations of OSHA, which resulted in a favorable settlement to the client
- Assisted in representation of a transportation client at trial accused of willful and serious violations of Title VII
- Regularly provides counseling on a multitude of employment related issues, including the Americans with Disabilities Act, Family Medical Leave Act and Fair Labor Standards Act compliance
"Monitoring Employee Social Media Activity," Texas Lawyer, April 4, 2015
Co-author, "The ADA/ADAAA, FMLA, USERRA, and Other Leave Laws," Chicago Conference: Understanding Employment Law, Spring 2013
"The Hot News Doctrine: It's Not 1918 Anymore," Houston Law Review, Spring 2012
Heather is also a frequent contributor to Norton Rose Fulbright's Social Media Law Blog
Last year, the Pew Center released its demographic data on social media usage. The data revealed that-regardless of age, race, sex, education, or income-nearly 75....
April 06, 2015
Our Houston office successfully defeated a motion to conditionally certify in a Fair Labor Standards Act meal break case on behalf of Baylor Scott & White..
July 25, 2018
Our Houston office, with US Head of Employment and Labor Shauna Johnson Clark as the lead lawyer and Heather Sherrod and Kimberly Cheeseman assisting, represented client Mattress Firm Inc. in a discrimination class-action lawsuit..
October 10, 2016