Richard L. Kornblith
Richard Kornblith joined the Los Angeles office in 1995 as a partner holding a joint assignment to the business group; he is Head of the Tax Department and a member of the Leadership Committee in that office. Mr. Kornblith provides federal and California tax advice on all issues impacting the commercial law practice. A large portion of Mr. Kornblith's practice is dedicated to the tax, tax controversy and public law aspects of municipal finance. His practice also has included a substantial amount of transactional work in asset securitization, lease financing, project financing, public-private partnership transactions and low-income housing and energy tax credit syndication, and of tax counseling in the real estate and partnership workout areas. He has significant experience in the federal income taxation of the acquisition, development and transfer of intellectual property.
Mr. Kornblith is an active member of the State Bars of California, Texas and Pennsylvania, and of the Bar of the District of Columbia, and he has been admitted to practice before the US District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
JD, University of Pennsylvania School of Law, 1977
Ph.D, Theoretical Physics (Quantum Optics), University of Rochester, 1976
BA, magna cum laude, Washington University in St. Louis, 1969
While in law school, Mr. Kornblith served as Editor of the University of Pennsylvania Law Review. He served a judicial clerkship for the Honorable Caleb M. Wright of the Federal District Court for the District of Delaware from 1977 to 1979.
- California State Bar
- District of Columbia Bar
- Pennsylvania State Bar
- Texas State Bar
Rankings and recognitions
- Regular Fellow, The American College of Bond Counsel
- Chambers USA, California: Tax, Chambers & Partners, 2010 - 2017
- Legal 500 US, recommended lawyer, Tax: Domestic, The Legal 500, 2015
- Legal 500 US, recommended lawyer, Tax - US taxes - non-contentious, The Legal 500, 2016
- Southern California Super Lawyer, Thomson Reuters, 2004 - 2010, 2013 - 2018
Mr. Kornblith is a frequent panelist and lecturer on matters of federal income taxation of municipal bonds for the National Association of Bond Lawyers, of federal income taxation of international businesses and transactions for the Center on International Legal Studies, of federal income taxation of the development and disposition of intellectual property and of federal income taxation of affordable housing development for Bar Associations and other organizations.
Memberships and activities
- National Association of Bond Lawyers, Active Member
- Arbitrage and Tax Seminars, Past Chair
- Bond Attorneys Workshops, Past Member Steering Committee
- American Bar Association
- Taxation Section
- Tax-Exempt Financing Committee, Past Chair, Governmental Bonds Subcommittee
- Financial Transactions Committee
- Committee on Sales, Exchange and Basis
- Intellectual Property Law Section
- Committee on Taxation, Past Chair
- Texas State Bar Association - Taxation Section
- Tax Exempt Financing Committee, Past Chair
- State Bar of California and Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Pennsylvania and Philadelphia Bar Associations
- District of Columbia Bar
The IRS provides additional guidance on the type of remedial action that issuers may take to preserve the tax-advantaged status when there is an occurrence of “nonqualified uses” of bond proceeds..
May 03, 2018
On August 22, 2016, the IRS released Rev. Proc. 2016-44. Rev....
August 31, 2016
Super Lawyers lists ten of our Los Angeles lawyers.
January 30, 2018
From our Los Angeles office, 13 lawyers were selected for inclusion on the 2015 Southern California Super Lawyers list..
January 29, 2015