‘...enviable experience in the Moscow and CIS markets…the staff continue to be considered the authorities on regulatory and subsoil matters. The firm remains a popular choice for clients, attracting recommendations for its tailored service.’
Chambers Europe, 2012
Our objective is simple - to deliver seamless, sophisticated and forward thinking advice to our clients where ever they are in the world.
Our Moscow energy team is one of the largest oil and gas practices in Russia and in the CIS, working in tandem with our office in Almaty, Kazakhstan to provide regional advice on complex transactions. As part of our global energy group, we can also draw upon the expertise of our energy lawyers abroad to deliver integrated advice on the full range of cross-border issues throughout Europe, the United States, Canada, Latin America, Asia, Australia, Africa, the Middle East and Central Asia.
As a core focus for the practice, our in-depth knowledge of the energy sector means we can advise clients on all aspects of their energy-related business and any relevant issues; we can provide a holistic service to a number of prominent players in the industry by collaborating with our local experts in the fields of: corporate, M&A and securities; banking and finance; tax; and dispute resolution and litigation, among other practice areas. A major part of our work consists of providing complex legal advice to oil services companies.
Our areas of work include
- due diligence on acquisitions and joint ventures
- financing and security issues
- consideration of the most appropriate investment vehicle
- joint venture structuring and negotiation
- negotiation of equity and/or debt transaction documentation
- operating and agency arrangements
- ownership of production
- limitations on pledge and assignment
- customs and export control issues
- currency control
- regulatory issues (including competition and foreign investment restrictions)
- restructuring and sale of entities holding subsoil licences
- feasibility and evaluation procedures
- the license tendering process
- transfer of oil & gas licenses
- transportation and refining arrangements, including pipeline access issues
- equipment supply and oil service agreements.
Our recent work includes advising
- Gazprom on the restructuring of Shtokman gas and condensate field in the Barents Sea, one of the world's largest natural gas fields.
- INTER RAO UES on overall legal aspects to determine the basis for attracting external investments into the project of a feasibility study for the construction of Baltic nuclear power plant (Baltic NPP).
- Gazprom International on the establishment of a joint venture to develop an offshore oil and gas deposit in Vietnam.
- GDF SUEZ on major potential acquisitions in Russia, which involved conducting an extensive due diligence of the underlying subsoil licences and structuring of deals.
- A number of major and middle size oilfield equipment producers and suppliers for over 20 years on their Russian legal affairs. The work relates to corporate, contractual, export and import transactions, labour, real estate and regulatory work. We also provide legal advice on various tax matters related to the Russian operations as well as cross-border transactions and intercompany operations.
- Chevron on the acquisition of a major hydrocarbon property in Russia, including assisting with the issues of export of geological data outside the area of Customs Union.
- SOCAR in a number of major transactions and assignments in CIS countries, including (a) acquisition of a gas distribution grid; (b) acquisition of gas filling stations, (c) granting a royalty as part of incentive structure to improve marketing of hydrocarbons through oil terminal owned by the client.