Our London asset management team provides advice on all aspects of asset managers’ legal requirements, from the formation of new funds to merger and acquisition transactions in the sector. As part of the global asset management practice, we work closely with our lawyers practising in Europe, the United States, Canada, Asia, Australia, Africa and the Middle East.
“Norton Rose Fulbright advised on the IPOs of Starwood Capital Operations LLC and Greencoat UK Wind plc. Other clients include J.P. Morgan, Henderson Global Investors and Cenkos Securities.” Legal 500 UK, 2013
We act on some of the largest deals in the market and our clients include many of the leading and most active global asset management businesses as well as banks and service providers to the sector. Our asset management group is a key part of the practice's financial institutions practice.
Regarded by market commentators as a leading practice in financial services regulation and investment funds work, our team handles all aspects of the industry. We advise on the specific needs of your business and have invested heavily in producing a range of bespoke products to assist you in your day-to-day asset management issues; our AIFMD expert resource provides a unique service to clients conducting AIFMD projects, setting out the latest developments and timing of the AIFMD as well as key resource papers from the Commission, ESMA and FSA.
Our funds formation team has a broad-ranging and internationally based practice and regularly advises on retail and institutional funds, onshore, offshore, open and closed ended. We particularly excel in specialist and alternative funds and asset classes, such as listed funds, private equity and cleantech funds, Islamic funds, carbon funds, real estate and infrastructure funds, debt funds, capital protected/guaranteed, structured products and hedge funds and funds of hedge funds.
Our relationship does not end with the launch of the fund. We remain on hand to advise on the use of derivatives to hedge risks, methods of achieving liquidity, regulatory and corporate governance issues and other ongoing matters. We also regularly advise on fund or portfolio restructurings.
Our areas of work include
- investment fund launches, fund raisings and restructuring
- M&A and corporate transactions for asset managers
- structured products/derivatives
- regulatory issues
- dispute resolution
- employment and incentives
Our recent work
- Advising The Renewable Energy Infrastructure Group (TRIG), a closed-ended investment fund, on its £300 million IPO, listing on the London Stock Exchange.
- Advising on the IPO of Bluefield Solar Income Fund Limited, a newly incorporated Guernsey closed ended investment company.
- Advising JP Morgan Cazenove and Davy as joint sponsors and bookrunners on the €310million initial public offering of newly-incorporated Irish property investment company, Green REIT plc (Green REIT).
- Advising Numis Securities Limited on the IPO of TwentyFour Income Fund Limited, a new Guernsey closed-ended investment company, whose investment objective is to generate attractive risk adjusted returns, principally through income distributions, by investing in a diversified portfolio of UK and European asset backed securities.
- Advising Bermuda National Limited (BNL), a listed financial services investment holding company on the acquisition of JOHIM CS Limited, the holding company of J O Hambro Investment Management Limited (JOHIM) from Credit Suisse AG for a cash consideration of £50 million.
- Advising Starwood European Real Estate Finance Limited, a newly incorporated Guernsey investment company on its IPO, which raised £228m, making it the largest investment company IPO of 2012.
- Advising Jefferies International Limited on the IPO of Blue Capital Global Reinsurance Fund Limited, which raised £100m.
- Advising Greencoat UK Wind plc, a newly incorporated UK-domiciled investment company, on its proposed IPO, which will raise between £205m and £260m on its admission to the Official List and to the Main Market of the London Stock Exchange. Greencoat is unique in being the first fully seeded wind energy infrastructure fund to launch on the London markets.
- Advising Oriel Securities as sole sponsor and book runner on the placing and offer for subscription of shares in Alcentra European Floating Rate Income Fund Limited, a new Guernsey incorporated investment company investing in floating rate, secured loans or high-yield bonds issued by European and US corporates.