Our London contentious marine insurance team is a recognised leader in domestic and international disputes for the marine insurance sector. As a full-service global legal practice, we work with the world’s leading owners, operators, managers, underwriters and financiers. By combining the skills of our dedicated lawyers we deliver advice on complex cross-border disputes throughout Europe, the United States, Canada, Latin America, Asia, Australia, Africa, the Middle East and Central Asia.
Our team includes Master Mariners with tanker and bulk cargo experience and a solicitor trained to degree level in naval architecture. We also maintain strong links with the major international protection and indemnity associations, advising on coverage issues on behalf of members and on matters relating to the structure and covenants of the associations themselves.
- A 24-hour emergency response capability as part of our full service offering to clients.
- Multi-jurisdictional experience across corporate, shipping, banking and finance practice areas.
- Experience in the full range of dispute resolution options, including litigation, international arbitration and ADR.
Our areas of work include
- builder’s risks
- cargo and species insurance disputes
- contractual advice (including London market hull policy wordings, American Hull Clauses, German Hull Clauses, the French Hull Clauses and the Norwegian Marine Insurance Plan)
- coverage claims (including insured perils, increased value, policy wording exclusions, breach of warranty, unseaworthiness, misrepresentation, and non-disclosure)
- hull and machinery (including groundings, allisions, collisions, salvage, claims for actual and constructive total loss, MII claims, risks on vessels under construction or repair and war risks matters (including piracy))
- liability claims (including: freight forwarders liability; charterers liability; ports and terminals liability; warehousemen’s liability, and marine liability and professional indemnity)
- market policy interpretation
- mortgagee’s interest
- reinsurance programmes (both inwards and outwards)
- risk assessment and audit
- war risks
- yacht insurance disputes.