Protecting your assets
Even with the best of intentions, things happen that can threaten the security and longevity of your assets. We work with you to analyze your short-term liquidity needs, as well as assess your long-term financial well-being, including retirement planning, asset allocation/protection and investment and business considerations.
We help you develop strategies that ease potential financial risks including:
- Preparing premarital/marital property agreements
- Formulating asset protection plans in the event of marriage dissolution or creditors' claims
- Characterizing separate and community property
- Tracing, managing and preserving separate property
- Achieving post-divorce modifications of child support
If it becomes necessary to go to court, our family law lawyers are highly experienced. Our family law group has tried more than 50 jury trials, hundreds of bench trials and thousands of contested evidentiary hearings.
When other entities are involved
Family law issues frequently impact many more people and entities than just immediate family members.
We routinely represent various parties affected on different family law issues, including:
- Establishing or defending valuation of closely held business entities
- Defending and counseling third parties joined in family law cases
- Prosecuting and defending tort claims by and between spouses and others
Our family law team often draws upon the valuable input of other teams. For example, our Corporate and Securities team and Tax team often provide guidance for prenuptial, postnuptial and divorce issues. Our family law group also consults with our tax team to minimize the potential tax consequences often associated with property transfers.