Norton Rose Fulbright's ERISA litigation team is an integrated team of lawyers capable of handling the wide spectrum of employee benefit and executive compensation issues in litigation today.
The US News and World Report and Best Lawyers® recognized the firm's ERISA litigation team as one of the first-tier services in the nation.
With decades of experience, the ERISA Litigation team handles cases under ERISA and in related areas, including collective bargaining, employment discrimination, insurance, trusts, fiduciary liability, securities and tax.
The ERISA litigation team is also highly knowledgeable in pension and benefit plan design, administration and qualification under federal income tax laws, DOL regulations, and state laws.
The firm's ERISA litigation team provides legal representation for a wide range of clients, including single and multi-employer pension and benefit plans, plan sponsors, employers, fiduciaries, trustees, third-party administrators, and insurers and investment advisors in both individual and class action lawsuits under ERISA. These cases cover the broad sweep of ERISA-related litigation:
- Benefit claims and eligibility determinations
- Breach of fiduciary duty claims related to self-dealing, conflict of interest, prohibited transactions, mismanagement of assets, and other aspects of plan administration
- Plan reporting, disclosure, and notice requirements
- Imprudent investment claims under both ERISA and securities law
- Severance and related claims arising out of mergers, acquisitions and terminations
- Preemption of state law claims for fraud, breach of contract, wrongful termination and the like
- National Labor Relations Board charges pertaining to collectively bargained benefit and retirement plans
- Age, gender, and disability discrimination issues in plan design and administration
- Non-qualified deferred compensation issues
- Retaliation and interference with protected rights of plan participants and beneficiaries
Norton Rose Fulbright's ERISA litigation team also has extensive experience in employee benefit litigation arising outside the context of ERISA-covered plans, such as governmental plans, stock options, change of control benefits, and all other forms of executive compensation.
Awards and accolades
- Best Law Firms, Tier 1 national rankings for the following litigation categories: antitrust, appellate bankruptcy, general commercial, environmental, ERISA, intellectual property, mass tort/class actions – defendants, and patent, US News & World Report and Best Lawyers, 2016
- Best Law Firms, national rankings for employee benefits (ERISA) law and labor & employment litigation, US News & World Report and Best Lawyers, 2016