With over 30 years of experience, Lisa Genecov has built a practice focused on providing legal services to the health care industry. She devotes her practice to the regulatory, business, corporate, governance, compliance, M&A and transactional aspects of health care law.
She advises clients on transaction structures, implementation matters, compliance obligations and strategic opportunities under the Affordable Care Act and related healthcare laws and regulations. She also regularly advises the boards of health care entities on governance issues.
Lisa counsels various hospitals and health systems, medical groups and other health care providers in both regulatory matters as well as business transactions, including: acquisitions and divestitures of hospitals, ancillary service lines and medical practices; telemedicine initiatives and strategies; co-management and service line management arrangements; the development and formation of accountable care organizations, clinically integrated networks and physician/hospital/payor alignment strategies; physician and hospital contracting, physician employment and recruitment issues; physician practice management and management services agreements; corporate practice of medicine and fee splitting issues; as well as advising on fraud and abuse and Stark Law compliance, tax-exempt and antitrust issues, and licensure and CHOW matters.
Lisa has been recognized and included for many years in the prestigious Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business rankings for health lawyers, as well as the Best Lawyers in America for Health Care, Texas Super Lawyers, Best Lawyers in Dallas, and was the only private law firm lawyer selected by the Dallas Business Journal for inclusion in its 2013 "Who's Who in Health Care" edition.
- 1984 - J.D. with honors, The University of Texas School of Law
- 1980 - B.A., with distinction, Human Biology, Stanford University
- Lead transaction counsel representing a large health care network of non-profit hospitals in its acquisition of the largest U.S. alliance of non-profit academic medical centers, creating the largest member-owned health care company in the U.S.
- Represented a large regional non-profit health system in a joint venture with a national healthcare payor regarding health plans and insured and self-insured products combining integrated care teams, health insurance benefits and administrative services to promote efficiencies and lower costs of care.
- Represented a large, national, for-profit health system with change of ownership, notifications and related filings and other healthcare regulatory matters in its $4.4 billion acquisition of another large health system.
- Represented a national hospice care operator in the acquisition of various hospice agencies around the U.S. and lead transaction counsel in the sale of the hospice care operator to a larger hospice care company.
- Represented a large regional non-profit health system on setting up its Virtual Care Program, including addressing regulatory issues, preparing and negotiating contracts and structuring various affiliations for the provision of telemedicine and digital health services.
- Represented a large national healthcare system with respect to physician telemedicine initiatives, including addressing Anti-Kickback Statute, Stark Law and other regulatory issues, privacy and security issues, Medicare and state law reimbursement issues, and multiple vendor contract issues.
- Represented a digital health/mobile app company in connection with healthcare regulatory matters, including HIPAA privacy and security issues.
- Represented a national physician practice management company in a joint venture transaction with a Texas non-profit health system in connection with the development of urgent care centers.
- Represented a large, for-profit health system on healthcare regulatory matters in its joint venture with a large, national ambulatory surgical services company.
- Represented a private equity group in connection with the acquisition of a large anesthesia practice management company and its affiliated anesthesia medical practice.
- Represented a Texas non-profit regional health system in its acquisition transaction of a large cardiology practice.
- Represented a revenue cycle solutions subsidiary of a large for-profit health system in a joint venture with a large Catholic Health system regarding revenue cycle services.
- Represented a national health care staffing company in its acquisitions of other staffing companies and a technology company providing scheduling and other management solutions.
- Represented an urgent care, occupational medicine and healthcare work site company in numerous acquisitions of primary care physician practices across the U.S.
- Represented a proton cancer treatment center developer in healthcare regulatory, corporate and transactional matters for the development and operation of proton treatment centers with academic medical centers in Texas, Maryland and Georgia and with a large health system and its affiliated medical practice in California.
Rankings and recognitions
- DFW Who's Who in Health Care, Dallas Business Journal, 2013
- Best Lawyers in Dallas, Health Law, D Magazine, 2012 - 2017
- Top 50 Most Powerful Women in Law - Dallas, National Diversity Council, 2017
- Lawyer of the Year, Dallas: Healthcare Law, Best Lawyers, 2018
- The Best Lawyers in America, Health Care, Best Lawyers, 2013 - 2018
- Texas Super Lawyer, Healthcare, Thompson Reuters, 2003-2005, 2007, 2014-2017
- Chambers USA, Texas: Healthcare, Chambers & Partners, 2010 – 2017
- Legal 500 US, recommended lawyer, Healthcare: Service Providers, The Legal 500, 2015-2016
- William B. Finkelstein Cardozo Society Member of the Year Award, Jewish Federation of Greater Dallas, 2012
- "Physician Groups, Health Systems & Private Equity: Emerging Models," Norton Rose Fulbright Webinar, April 2017
- "Hospital, Physician and Payer Alignment: Trends and Strategies," The University of Texas School of Law 29th Annual Health Law Conference, April 2017
- "Telemedicine and Virtual Care: The Future is Today (or, Is My iPhone My New Doctor's Office?)," Norton Rose Fulbright Thirteenth Annual Health Law Symposium, January 2017
- "Telemedicine and Digital Health," Healthcare Private Equity Conference, Norton Rose Fulbright, October 2016
- "Healthcare Risk: The Game of the Winning Transaction," American Health Lawyers Association Healthcare Transactions Conference, May 2016
- "All in the Family: Trends in Hospital, Physician and Payor Consolidation and Alignment Activities," The University of Texas School of Law 28th Annual Health Law Conference, April 2016
- "Managing Regulatory Risks in Healthcare M&A Transactions," Norton Rose Fulbright Twelfth Annual Health Law Symposium, January 2016
- "Sales of Distressed Healthcare Assets in Bankruptcy: Potential Acquisition Challenges and Opportunities," Norton Rose Fulbright Webinar, January 2016
- "Telemedicine: A Disruptive Technology," Norton Rose Fulbright Webinar, October 2015
- "Healthcare M&A - 2015, Trends and Considerations," University of Texas 27th Annual Health Law Conference, May 2015
- "Hospital and Physician Transactions - Conflict Management Strategies," ABA Health Law Section Webinar, February 2015
- "Healthcare M&A: Due Diligence and Regulatory Risks in Acquisitions and Emerging Alignment and Collaborative Models," Texas Health Law Conference, October 2014.
- "Trends in White Collar Healthcare Cases, "Women's White Collar Defense Association, November 8, 2013
- "An Attorney's Role in Counseling the Board: Governance in an Era of Health Reform," Texas Hospital Association Health Law Conference, October 2013.
- "Rethinking Physician Affiliations: Employing Physicians in a Corporate Practice State," University of Texas/State Bar Health Care Law Conference, April 2012
- "How Integrated Should We Be? Emerging Physician-Hospital and Alignment Models," ABA Emerging Issues Health Law Conference, February 2012
- "Physician and Hospital Alignment Strategies," ABA Physician Issues Conference, June 2010
Memberships and activities
- Co-Founder and Executive Committee Member, Center for Women in Law at the University of Texas School of Law
- Member, Women Business Leaders of the U.S. Healthcare Industry Foundation
- Member, American Bar Association (ABA), Health Law and Business Law Sections
- Member, Governing Council, ABA Health Law Section
- Past Chair of the Diversity Coordinating Committee, ABA Health Law Section
- Past Chair of the Editorial Board of the e-Source, the electronic newsletter for the ABA Health Law Section
- Past Chair, ABA, Business and Transactions Interest Group, Health Law Section
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association
- Member, Texas Bar Association, Health Law and Business Law Sections
- Member, Dallas Bar Association, Health Law and Corporate Sections
- Member, Board of Directors, Jewish Federation of Greater Dallas (2012-Present)
January 21, 2016
October 13, 2015
On May 27, 2017, the Texas Governor signed into law Senate Bill 1107, making many significant changes to existing telemedicine laws....
June 05, 2017
The National Diversity Council this week honored Lisa Genecov (Dallas), Julie Mayo and Alaina Benford (Houston) for being named among the Top 50 female lawyers in Dallas and Houston..
November 09, 2017