Emeka Charles Chinwuba's practice focuses on project finance transactions primarily in the power (including renewables) and infrastructure sectors. His experience includes general bank finance transactions (including acquisition financings, investment grade financings and ABLs) and project development and finance transactions including for wind power projects, asset acquisition transactions, parking and toll road concession transactions and US P3 transactions.
His work has covered complex financing projects in the United States, South America, Middle East and Africa.
In 2010, Emeka served as a volunteer prosecution attorney at the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda, where he assisted in reviewing pleadings, drafting appellate briefs and interviewing prosecution witnesses relating to the trial of genocidiares in the 1994 Rwandan genocide.
2006 -LL.M., Columbia University Law School
2002 - B.L., Nigerian Law School
2000 - LL.B., University of Nigeria
- Advised a UAE renewable energy company as joint venture participant in the £2 billion 630 megawatt London Array offshore wind farm project.
- Advised the Lead Arrangers in connection with a $690 million repowering project financing for a US based power company.
- Advised the Administrative Agent in connection with a $410 million ten-year term facility as well as a five-year revolving credit facility related to the acquisition by a private equity fund of a group of Guatemalan electricity distribution companies.
- Advised the Administrative Agent for a $225 million cross-border airport financing in the Bahamas.
- Advised in the making of federal loans in connection with a $325 million subordinated secured municipal loan for the funding of project costs relating to the replacement of the Gerald Desmond Bridge at the Port of Long Beach, California.
- Advised the Lead Arrangers in connection with the financing for a bid on the Chicago metered parking concession.
- Advised the Lead Arrangers in connection with the Indianapolis metered parking and public garage concession.
- Advised the Lead Arrangers in connection with a $300 million asset based financing of a US manufacturing company.
- Advised the Borrower (and Purchaser) in negotiating and drafting the financing agreements for a $170 million first and second lien acquisition financing in connection with the purchase of a US-based hockey team from the US National Hockey League.
- Advised the Administrative Agent and Joint Lead Arrangers in negotiating and drafting financing agreements for a $275 million acquisition financing in connection with the purchase by a Peruvian energy company of equity stakes in certain downstream energy companies in Ecuador and Peru.
- New York State Bar License
Rankings and recognitions
- New York Metro Rising Star, Securities and Corporate Finance Litigation, Thomson Reuters, 2016 - 2017
Co-author, "Financial Covenants In Project Financing: Key Points," Law360, July 25, 2017
Co-author, "Financing High-Speed Rail In The United States: Part 1," Law360, March 1, 2017
Memberships and activities
- American Bar Association
- New York Bar Association
- Nigerian Bar Association
- Nigerian Lawyers Association in New York (past president, 2009)
- New York Family Court Project, Volunteer Attorney, 2007 - 2015
- International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda, Volunteer Prosecution Attorney, 2010
Emeka Chinwuba (New York) has been appointed to serve on the New York City Bar Association's Project Finance Committee..
September 29, 2016