Andrea L. D'Ambra is a partner in the New York office and the Head of eDiscovery and Information Governance for the United States. Andrea focuses her practice on data privacy, e-discovery, cross border discovery, and cybersecurity.
Andrea assists clients in navigating foreign data privacy laws while complying with U.S. discovery obligations and is a recognized thought-leader on the discovery challenges posed by emerging technologies. She also counsels clients on breach preparedness, assessing potential cybersecurity incidents and the regulatory notifications required when an incident rises to the level where it must be reported.
Andrea counsels clients on preservation and data management issues, and has drafted information governance and records management policies for a number of multi-national companies. In addition to counselling, she has assisted clients in navigating foreign data privacy laws while complying with U.S. discovery obligations. Andrea regularly speaks on cybersecurity, data protection and e-discovery issues, and has written on various information risk topics.
Andrea served for over seven years as an officer in the United States Navy. Her diverse Naval experience includes serving as an action officer for high-profile investigations within the Bureau of Naval Personnel and managing the administrative and legal issues of the Navy's computer network defense command.
Andrea also is an adjunct professor of law at Temple and William and Mary Law Schools where she teaches classes on Electronic Discovery.
Andrea is a Certified Information Privacy Professional for the European Union (CIPP/E) through the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP).
JD, William and Mary School of Law, 2003
BS, Political Science, United States Naval Academy, 1993
While in law school, Andrea served on the William and Mary Law Review and William and Mary Bill of Rights Journal. She also earned the George Wythe Prize for exemplary service to the school community. After law school, she clerked for the Honorable Ronald L. Buckwalter, United States District Court Judge for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
Andrea is admitted to practice before the US District Court for the District of New Jersey, the Southern District of New York, the US District Courts for the Western and Eastern Districts of Pennsylvania, The US Court of Appeals for the Second, Third, Eighth and Federal Circuits, and the US Bankruptcy Court the Western District of Pennsylvania.
- Lead counsel on numerous data breach investigations and regulatory responses.
- Advisor to companies based in Denmark, Germany, France, and China (among others) on cross border discovery issues related to US-based litigation.
- Lead eDiscovery Counsel for the main defendants in one of the largest environmental contamination cases in the United States.
- eDiscovery counsel and liaison for multinational retailer in a multi-million dollar tax overcharge case.
- eDiscovery counsel for foreign parent company of a U.S. automobile manufacturer in a multi-district litigation regarding allegations of a product defect.
- eDiscovery counsel for a foreign pharmaceutical company in a multi-district antitrust litigation.
- eDiscovery counsel for a U.S. pharmaceutical company and its foreign parent company providing advice on data disposition.
- eDiscovery counsel for a large insurance company advising on production of structured data in a series of claims litigations.
- Counsel for a world-famous photographer and his Studio, advising on a host of issues from IP infringement, personnel issues, and contract disputes.
- First chaired a federal jury trial in the E.D. of Pennsylvania regarding an alleged violation of a non-compete agreement.
- Argued before the Federal Circuit on behalf of a veteran seeking redress for USERRA violations by the U.S. Army.
- New Jersey State Bar
- New York State Bar
- Pennsylvania State Bar
- Virginia State Bar
Rankings and recognitions
- Who's Who Legal, Litigation: E-Discovery Lawyers, Law Business Research Ltd., 2018
- "A Guide to Remedying Document Discovery Mishaps." ABA Litigation Journal, Summer 2018
- Co-author, "Look before you leap: Considering the Legal Implications of Collaborative Technology," CIOApplications, September 30, 2018
- "Not Dead Yet: Custodian Driven-Collection in the Age of Collaborative Spaces," Bloomberg Law: Digital Discovery & e-Evidence, December 7, 2017.
- "Courts and Cooperation: Failure to Cooperate in E-Discovery: A quantitative study of how courts are considering parties' failures to cooperate," Legaltech News, January 31, 2017
- "Quantitative Analysis of Courts' Application of Cooperation in Discovery Disputes from July 1, 2008 to November 1, 2016," EDI, 2017
- "Data analytics: How parties are using tools beyond TAR," Law360, November 10, 2016
- "Understanding the Importance of a Global Discovery Platform," New York Law Journal, October 6, 2014
- "Ten Things to Check on Your Next EDiscovery Bill," Today's General Counsel Magazine, August 13, 2014
- "Delaware Court of Chancery Adopts ESI Preservation Guidelines," Commercial Litigation Alert, January 31, 2011
- "Once is Not Enough: The Case for Using an Iterative Approach to Choosing and Applying Selection Criteria in Discovery," EDRM White Paper, May 25, 2010
- Presenter, Understanding the California Consumer Privacy Act: Transparency and Consent and Anti-Discrimination: Oh My!, IAPP Privacy, Security, Risk 2018 Conference, Austin, Texas, October 17, 2018
- Presenter, A Sneak Peek of Norton Rose Fulbright's 2018 Litigation Trends Survey, Exterro inFusion Conference, Portland, Oregon, October 16, 2018
- Presenter, Ethics in Discovery 2018, Practicing Law Institute, June 27, 2018
- Chair, Data Privacy and Cybersecurity, Today's General Counsel Institute, New York, NY (May 2016-2018), San Francisco, CA (2015-2018), Washington, DC (2015-2016), Dallas (2017-2018), Los Angeles (2016-2017)
- Chair/Faculty, E-Discovery for the Corporate Marketplace, Today's General Counsel Institute, Los Angeles, CA (2013-2017), New York, NY (2013-2017), Chicago (2012-2014), Houston (2011-2018), Seattle (2014-2016)
- Moderator, Seeing the Forest Through the Trees: Protecting Privilege in Complex Discovery, 12th Annual National Institute on E-Discovery, May 18, 2018.
- Panelist, New Technology, eDiscovery, and Attorney Competence, The Sedona Conference, Working Group 1, Mid-Year Meeting, Nashville, TN, May 3, 2018
- Speaker, Breach Notification, 2nd Cybersecurity and Data Privacy Law Conference, The Center for American and International Law, April 12, 2018.
- Panelist, "Aftermath & Recovery" (After An Attack), Another Day at the Breach: Cyber Intrusion - A Conference of Experts, William & Mary Law and Business Schools, March 17, 2018
- Panelist, Challenges Faced When Sending the Non-Profit Employee Overseas, Claims Litigation Management Annual Conference, March 16, 2018
- Moderator, The International Data Game, ASU-Arkfeld EDiscovery Conference, March 7, 2018
- Panelist, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly: Addressing Cyber Risk Across the Legal Services Supply Chain, ASU-Arkfeld EDiscovery Conference, March 7, 2018
- Panelist, Technology, TAR, Machine Learning and AI, Mobile Devices, 5th Annual Innovation in EDiscovery Conference, February 8, 2018
- Panelist, Data protection and GDPR, 5th Annual Innovation in EDiscovery Conference, February 8, 2018
- Moderator, From Buzzword to Process: Advancing Cooperation to Improve Discovery, Georgetown Advanced EDiscovery Institute, November 16, 2017
- Panelist, The Social Media Takeover: Is Your Organization Ready, The Masters Conference, New York, July 25, 2017
- Panelist, EDiscovery and Ethical Considerations for Social Media, Driven CLE, June 7, 2017
- Presenter with Ken Rashbaum, Navigating the Intersection between Cybersecurity & E-Discovery, myCLE webinar, May 15, 2017
- Panelist, Preservation and Discovery of Social Media, The Sedona Conference, Working Group 1 Mid-Year Meeting, May 4, 2017
- Panelist, "Who Wants to be a Multi-National Corporation?", ASU-Arkfeld eDiscovery Conference, March 9, 2017
- Moderator, "Search II Starting Off on the Right Foot with Technology-Assisted Review ("TAR")," ASU-Arkfeld eDiscovery Conference, March 8, 2017
- Panelist, "Multilingual Data and Global Investigations," LegalTech, February 1, 2017
- Webinar speaker, "Social media eDiscovery in civil litigation," November 17, 2016
- Moderator, Georgetown Advanced eDiscovery Institute Conference, "Navigating the Intersection between Cybersecurity and eDiscovery," November 2016
- "How to Test and Negotiate Search Terms," Colorado Association of Litigation Support Professionals, October 2016
- Panelist, "Discovery of Social Media," Women in eDiscovery Philadelphia Chapter, February 2016
- Panelist, "Bring Your Own Device Commentary," The Sedona Conference, Working Group 1 Annual Meeting, October 2015
- Presenter, "The Importance of Instituting Reasonable Legal Hold Processes," presentation before PG&E's Records Retention Team at their annual meeting, September 2015
- Panelist, "The Cloud and my iPhone – A Treasure Trove for Discovery," ALM Conference, Philadelphia, PA, September 2014
- Panelist, "A Review of Proposed Changes to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure," Masters Conference, Philadelphia, PA, July 22, 2014
- Panelist, "Discovery 101: Processing, Review and Production," Women in eDiscovery, Philadelphia Chapter, July 9, 2014
- Presenter, Cooperation in Practice Presentation, Georgetown Advanced eDiscovery Institute, November 21, 2013
- Speaker, Proposed Amendments to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, Electronic Discovery Journal, October 15, 2013
- Panelist, "ESI and Data Privacy in the World of Mobile Computing Litigation Readiness in the Digital Age," Masters Conference, Washington, DC, September 19, 2013
- Faculty, E-Discovery for the Corporate Marketplace, Today's General Counsel Institute, New York, NY, July 2013
- Panelist, Cybersecurity Seminar, Masters Conference, October 9, 2012
- "Perspective on E-Discovery Procurement Trends," Masters Conference Series, May 24, 2012
- "IP Fundamentals for Antitrust Specialists Program Series: Basics of Copyright, Trade Secretes and Trademarks," American Bar Association Section of Antitrust law, Intellectual Property Committee, March 2, 2010
- "Ethical Issues in Patent Law," 25th Annual Joint Patent Practice Seminar, April 30, 2009
- "Success Strategies," Women in Business Summit, July 23, 2007
Memberships and activities
- Member, William & Mary Law School Alumni Board
- Member of the Board of Trustees for Hill Top Preparatory School in Pennsylvania
- Congressmen Joe Sestak's and Pat Meehan's Naval Academy Nomination Committees, Member (2006 - present)
What do Mark Twain and custodian-driven collection have in common? In circumstances centuries apart, the rumors of both their deaths had been greatly exaggerated..
December 14, 2017
Discovery has shifted focus on the search, collection, review, and production of electronically stored information (“ESI”)..
June 08, 2017
Global law firm Norton Rose Fulbright has today announced 45 promotions worldwide, including 41 partners and four promotions to the South African equivalent of director..
April 27, 2017
On Jan. 1, Norton Rose Fulbright promoted 12 lawyers to partner in the United States. .
January 04, 2017