Mya Joel is a dispute resolution and risk advisory lawyer in the Global Data Protection, Privacy and Cybersecurity Group.
Mya has worked on a variety of high value and complex commercial disputes involving fraud, insolvency, data privacy issues and (re)insurance. On the data protection and cybersecurity side, Mya advises clients on how to manage various exposures and provides incident response services to help mitigate the effects of an adverse cyber incident and/or personal data breach. Mya has also previously worked at a leading global insurer on client secondment.
Mya read English at the University of Nottingham, and went on to complete the GDL and LPC at BPP Law School in London.
Recent experience includes:
- Advising two major airlines following significant personal data breaches resulting from hacking of IT systems. Advising on notification requirements under GDPR and NIS Regulations, analysing risk of harm to data subjects, drafting regulator and data subject notifications, co-ordinating the forensic investigation, advising in relation to customer claims (including group litigation) and liability to reimburse losses and pay compensation for emotional distress.
- Advising a leading energy company on threshold requirements for an operator of essential services under the NIS Regulations.
- Producing a s166 skilled person report for the PRA, assessing complex reinsurance arrangements and associated contractual arrangements and making recommendations to ensure the arrangements were clear and understandable, operating as intended and structured with the view to protecting the ceding firms and their respective policyholders.
- Producing a cyber incident response plan for a global fashion brand.
- Advising a wind farm in relation to a contractual dispute with its operating company regarding liability for damage cause by the failure of equipment.
- Providing training to clients on cybersecurity event readiness.
- Solicitor qualified in England & Wales 2018