Lauren's practice focuses on energy, environmental, toxic tort, and complex commercial litigation in state and federal court, including class action and multi-district litigation. Lauren represents energy clients in connection with disputes related to hydraulic fracturing, disposal and injection wells, chemical exposure, product liability, federal and state environmental statutes, royalty payment practices, and contractual disputes. Lauren also handles a variety of general civil litigation matters involving causes of action for breach of contract, fraud, negligence, nuisance, contractual and common law indemnity, breach of fiduciary duty, and minority shareholder oppression.
Lauren is actively involved in pro bono work, currently serving as Chair of the Houston Volunteer Lawyers and having successfully represented dozens of clients in divorce and child custody disputes.
JD, Columbia Law School, 2012
BA, cum laude, English and Policy Studies, Rice University, 2009
Université Paris 1 - Panthéon-Sorbonne, 2017
While in law school, Lauren was a semi-finalist at the Harlan Fiske Stone Moot Court Competition and Notes Editor of the Columbia Journal of Environmental Law. She is admitted to practice law in Texas and in the United States District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern, and Western Districts of Texas.
- Defense of energy companies against nuisance claims related to alleged loss of use and enjoyment of property;
- Defense of exploration and production companies against claims related to alleged water, soil, and air contamination from drilling activities;
- Defense of chemical suppliers against personal injury and wrongful death claims related to exposure to benzene, butadiene, and other chemicals;
- Representation of petrochemical/oil and gas companies in multi-district groundwater contamination litigation arising from use of a gasoline component (MTBE) and leading underground storage tanks (USTs) and involving claims for natural resource damages (NRD);
- Defense of exploration and production companies against claims for property damage related to hydraulic fracturing and injection wells, including obtaining a favorable settlement in lawsuit involving claims alleging connection between such activities and earthquakes;
- Representation of upstream and midstream companies against claims for underpayment of oil and gas royalties, including class actions and multi-district litigation;
- Challenge of environmental agency actions regarding water remediation before state administrative tribunals on behalf of major energy company;
- Representation of clients in connection with contracts with state-affiliated energy companies;
- Obtained landmark summary judgment decision holding that hydraulic fracturing was not subject to strict liability in Pennsylvania;
- Obtained summary judgment ruling that premarital agreement in multi-million dollar divorce proceeding was valid and not unconscionable;
- Pro bono representation of domestic violence victims in obtaining protective orders, divorces, and child custody and support orders, including award of sole managing conservatorship in case involving kidnapping of child across state lines;
- Tried ten cases to jury verdict as a prosecutor for the City of Houston as part of Norton Rose Fulbright's Attorney Loan Program.
Rankings and recognitions
- Texas Rising Star, energy, Thomson Reuters, 2017 - 2018
- Honorable Mention, 40 Under 40, Houston Business Journal, 2018
- Norton Rose Fulbright - Jaworski Award for Pro Bono Excellence, 2016
- Houston Young Lawyers Association (HYLA) - President's Award for Outstanding Service, 2015 & 2016
- Pro Bono College, State Bar of Texas, 2013-present
- "U.S. Supreme Court Disallows Untimely Piggybacked Class Actions in China Agritech v. Resh," The Litigation Section of the State Bar of Texas, News for the Bar, September 11, 2018
- Co-author, "US Supreme Court puts an end to untimely piggyback class actions," Norton Rose Fulbright, June 12, 2018
- Co-author, "Preparing for Your First Trial," ABA Young Lawyers Division Litigation Section, 101 Practice Series, August 2017
- Co-author, "Nuisance cases against energy companies in Texas, Pennsylvania and other areas with significant or developing oil and gas exploration," Texas Journal of Business Law, May 2018
- Co-author, "Nuisance cases against energy companies in Texas, Pennsylvania and other areas with significant or developing oil and gas exploration," Norton Rose Fulbright whitepaper, October 31, 2016
- Co-contributing editor, Getting the Deal Through: Energy Disputes, 2016 & 2017
- "Oklahoma Quakes Trigger Legal Concerns for Energy Cos.," Law360, February 4, 2016
- "Kansas Supreme Court Limits Marketable Product Doctrine in Royalty Cases," Law360, July 13, 2015
- "Reigniting Mexico's Energy Industry," Law360, February 7, 2014
- "A New Horizon?: The Need for Improved Regulation of Deepwater Drilling," Columbia Journal of Environmental Law, 2012
- Lauren is also a frequent contributor to Norton Rose Fulbright's Hydraulic Fracking Blog
- Speaker with Seth Isgur, "Top Business Cases of 2018," Norton Rose Fulbright Business Litigation Summit, November 14, 2018
- Speaker, "Best Practices for Mediation and Arbitration," ABA Young Lawyers Division, July 23, 2018
- Panelist, "Pretrial Considerations," ABA Young Lawyers Division, July 24, 2017
- Speaker with Dan McClure, "An Update on Oil and Gas Royalty and Class Action Litigation," June 15, 2017
- Speaker, "Energy Counsel," Texas State Bar Leaders Conference, July 25, 2015
- Moderator, "Surviving the Ups & Downs of the Oil & Gas Industry," HYLA Energy Counsel Committee, April 9, 2015
- Speaker with Barclay Nicholson, "Hydraulic Fracturing Litigation," Norton Rose Fulbright Energy Academy, November 2014
Memberships and activities
- Houston Volunteer Lawyers, 2018-2019 Chair
- Houston Young Lawyers Association, 2017-2018 President
- Houston Bar Association
- Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP Pro Bono Committee
- Garland R. Walker American Inn of Court
- Junior League of Houston
- Daughters of the American Revolution, Tejas Chapter
In June 2017, the US Supreme Court issued its holding in Bristol-Meyers Squibb v. Superior Court of California, rendering it far more difficult for a plaintiff to sue an out-of-state defendant, even one with extensive business contacts within the forum state..
August 15, 2018
The Resh opinion, written by Justice Ginsburg, is a welcome development for companies that have been subject to repeated class action lawsuits raising the same claims..
June 12, 2018
Seven Houston lawyers, Lauren Brogdon, Cristina Lunders, Darren Lindamood, Peter Tipps, Justin Tschoepe, Christian Menefee and Patrick McMillin, have been named to leadership roles within the Houston Young Lawyers Association for the 2016-2017 bar year..
July 12, 2016
Houston lawyers Lauren Brogdon and Darren Lindamood were honored with awards at the Law Day Luncheon hosted by the Houston Young Lawyers Association (HYLA) and....
May 05, 2015