Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Related services and key industries
- Gewerblicher Rechtsschutz
- Trade secrets
- Prozessführung und Konfliktlösung
- Tech sector
- Communications, media and entertainment
David's practice is directed toward litigation of patent infringement, trade secrets misappropriation, intellectual property licensing and other intellectual property disputes. David's practice also includes IP licensing, patent prosecution, and IP counselling. His practice is focused on claims involving complex technologies such as in the fields of artificial intelligence, automation and robotics, communications, software, electronics, semiconductors and optics, and has involved products such as smartphones, watches, laptops and other mobile devices, manufacturing equipment, automated material handling systems, memory and display devices, energy storage and management systems, holographic systems, digital televisions, video games, and large-scale mechanical systems. David has handled litigation in key jurisdictions across the country, including in the International Trade Commission (ITC), and post-grant proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB).
Prior to law school, David was a research and development engineer designing next-generation pattern recognition and artificial intelligence systems for commercial and military applications. David's masters' thesis concerned evaluation of basic neural network architectures, which complemented his engineering work developing artificial intelligence systems.
Throughout his career, a significant part of David's practice has involved representing Japanese and other Asia-based companies in patent infringement and other intellectual property disputes in the U.S.
Professional experience+Alle öffnen -Alle schließen
JD, Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, 1997
MS, California State University, Northridge, 1994
BS, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 1988
- California State Bar
- US Patent and Trademark Attorney
- Representing mechanization company in a patent infringement, trade secrets misappropriation and breach of contracts case involving stadium retractable roofs.
- Representing major electronics company in a patent cross-license contract dispute involving WiFi technology
- Represented industrial automation company against its chief competitor in a patent infringement action and related inter parties review proceedings. The case settled on terms favourable to the client.
- Defended an electronics manufacturer in a patent infringement action involving liquid crystal displays for cell-phones. The matter concluded with a consent judgment of non-infringement as to all of the accused products following the magistrate recommendation of summary judgment of non-infringement.
- Defended an entertainment company in a patent infringement action involving hologram technology. Successfully transferred the case to the District of Nevada. Following the filing of Inter Parties Review (IPR) petitions, the case settled on terms favourable to the client.
- Defended a Respondent smartphone maker in a patent infringement action brought by a major competitor in the International Trade Commission. Represented client through the evidentiary hearing, after which the administrative law judge issued an Initial Determination of no violation. The case later settled on terms favourable to the Respondent.
- Represented an electronics company in bringing a three-judge panel arbitration involving the sale of a semiconductor packaging business unit, including patents and other intellectual property. The arbitration panel unanimously found for the client awarding $14 million.
- Defended a digital television manufacturer in a patent infringement action in the Eastern District of Texas alleging infringement of nine of the plaintiff's patents relating to digital television signal processing. Following a successful claim construction hearing, the matter was settled on terms favorable to the client.
- Defended a digital camera manufacturer in a patent infringement action through trial in the District of Delaware involving patents relating to image processing in digital cameras. Client prevailed following a decision of the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit reversing the district court's claim construction ruling.
- Defended magnetic products maker in patent infringement action in the ITC. Successfully settled the case during the discovery phase.
- Defended a digital camera manufacturer in a patent infringement action litigated in the District Court for the District of Columbia involving patents relating to communications between components of digital cameras. Represented the client through a highly favorable claim construction hearing.
- Legal 500 USA, Recommended Lawyer, Intellectual Property: Patents: litigation (full coverage), The Legal 500, 2019, 2021
- Best Lawyers - Litigation – Patent, Best Lawyers, 2022 - 2023
- The Best Lawyers in America, Best Lawyers, 2017 – 2021
- Southern California Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2021
- Southern California Rising Star, intellectual property, Thomson Reuters, 2005 – 2007
- Southern California Super Lawyer, intellectual property, Thomson Reuters, 2013 – 2019
- Advanced Technology Achievement Advanced Technology Achievement Award, Litton Industries
- Co-author, "New bar for expert testimony warrants legal analysis when selecting experts," Norton Rose Fulbright Legal Update, August, 2022
- Co-author, "Questions and answers regarding trade secret protection in Europe and the United States," Norton Rose Fulbright Legal Update, July 20, 2022
- Co-author, "Good practices post-Minerva Surgical, Inc. v. Hologic, Inc.," Norton Rose Fulbright Legal Update, October 1, 2021
- Co-author, "What the Semiconductor Shortage Means for Patent Drafting," Law360, June 7, 2021
- Co-author, "Mathematical algorithm-based improvement to a known industrial or laboratory process may be patent eligible under 35 U.S.C. § 101," Norton Rose Fulbright Legal Update, November 13, 2020
- Co-author, "Jury Award Reflects FRAND," Norton Rose Fulbright Legal Update, October 1, 2020
- Co-author, "Joint inventorship clarified," Norton Rose Fulbright Legal Update, September 2020
- Co-author, "For infringement under 35 U.S.C. § 271(g), must a single entity perform a claimed process?," Norton Rose Fulbright Legal Update, May 2020
- Author, "Strategic Considerations of the USPTO's New Post Grant Proceedings," Intellectual Property & Technology Law Journal, Vol. 25, No. 8, August 2013
- Author, "Strategic Considerations of the USPTO's New Post Grant Proceedings," Alston & Bird, LLP IP Advisory, April 16, 2013
- Author, "Why Apple Persuaded a Jury that Samsung Should Pay Apple 1.05 Billion Dollars and Lessons For Non-U.S. Based Companies Embroiled in Patent Litigation," The Lawyers, October 2012 (Japanese)
- Author, "Feed Forward Artificial Neural Networks," Master's Thesis in Electrical Engineering, California State University Northridge, 1994.
- Speaker, "Negotiations: Strategies, styles, tools and tactics," 2023 California CLE blitz virtual program, Jan. 25, 2023
- Speaker, "USPTO's New Subject Matter Eligibility Guidelines: Is Change Coming," The Knowledge Group, Los Angeles, Jan. 18, 2019
- Speaker, "USPTO's Heightened IP Rights Enforcement in the 2019 Landscape: Latest Trends and Issues Uncovered," The Knowledge Group, Los Angeles, April 23, 2019
- Japan America Society of Southern California
- Licensing Executives Society
- Los Angeles County Bar Association