Head of Technology Consulting, Europe, Middle East and Asia
Norton Rose Fulbright LLP
Peter McBurney is Head of Technology Consulting at Norton Rose Fulbright LLP. He has a first degree in pure mathematics and mathematical statistics (with a university medal in statistics) and a PhD in Artificial Intelligence (AI). He is Professor of Computer Science and a former Head of the Department of Informatics at King's College London, where he undertakes research on blockchains and distributed ledger technologies (DLT), cryptocurrencies and token economics, and AI. He is also a frequent invited speaker on these technologies, presenting, for example, to the International Atomic Energy Agency, Britain's Royal College of Defence Studies, Lloyds Markets, and the British Venture Capital Association.
Peter is also a member of the Academic Advisory Council of the UK Financial Conduct Authority, advising on the use of AI and distributed ledger technologies in financial regulation.
- Peter and his colleagues provide management consultancy advice to clients across different industry sectors in these technologies. Example projects have included:
- Advice on market entry strategy and product design for a major Financial Institution considering offering cryptocurrency custodial services.
- Independent technical assessments of proposed systems and processes for cryptocurrency private key management by intending cryptocurrency custodians seeking insurance. These assessments are typically undertaken on behalf of the potential insurer.
- Development of detailed technical plans and blockchain technology platform assessments for an intending distributed ledger consortium in energy trading.
- Assisting a distributed ledger consortium to run a proof-of-concept trial aimed at selecting a technology partner to implement the shared platform.
- Design & implementation of a proof-of-concept blockchain for internal forex transfers for a global bank.
Earlier in his career, Peter co-founded a telecommunications management consultancy, Redwing Consulting, which advised the world's leading mobile and satellite network companies on planning and implementation of new business ventures. Redwing's clients included AT&T, BT, Ericsson, ICO Global, NYNEX (now Verizon), Qualcomm, Teledesic and US WEST, and projects were undertaken across the globe. The company was sold in 2001.
Event | 24. September 2019
Event | 23. September 2019
Event | 26. September 2019
Event | 25. September 2019