The energy storage industry is not a completely new industry and there have been short-lived booms before. The difference now is that developments are not being led solely by the suppliers, inventors and VC investors, but by the buyers and users. Large energy companies and retailers are supporting the roll-out of energy storage systems and governments are looking to the industry to support decarbonisation, and the integration of variable renewable generation. A report from Global Market Insights predicts the sector will grow at a compound annual growth rate of more than 6 per cent over the coming years, with the global energy storage systems market forecast reaching US$500bn by 2025.
The materials available on this page highlight market trends and new developments, alongside some of the regulatory considerations and trends we believe energy companies, developers, investors and financiers should take into account in assessing energy storage projects.
Energy storage updaters
- Energy storage updater – September 2020
- Energy storage updater – June 2020
- Energy storage updater – February 2020
- Energy storage updater - October 2019
- Energy storage updater - June 2019
- Energy storage updater - March 2019
- Energy storage updater - October 2018
- Energy storage updater - June 2018
- Energy storage updater - February 2018
- Energy storage updater - September 2017
- Energy storage updater - June 2017
- Energy storage updater - February 2017
- Energy storage updater - September 2016
- Energy storage updater - June 2016
- Energy storage updater - February 2016
- The RMIPPPP – a key landmark for renewables and storage hybrid projects in sub-Saharan Africa?
- Financing solar-plus-storage
- Energy storage in emerging markets: Lessons learned from mature markets
- The potential of hydrogen to accelerate the energy transition
- Regulatory progress for energy storage in Europe
- Scaling up energy storage in Great Britain: Progress on change
- Securing sustainable energy independence for the Greek islands: the role of storage
- Is Germany finally adopting battery storage solutions?
- Falling battery storage costs fuel opportunities for renewables investment in Africa
- Financing energy storage projects assessing risks - Part 2
- Financing energy storage projects assessing risks - Part 1
- Scaling up energy storage in the UK
- Energy Storage Projects: a global overview of trends and developments
- Norton Rose Fulbright advises on largest UK energy storage portfolio transaction for a single technology provider to date
- Norton Rose Fulbright advises lenders on US23bn financing for Southland repowering project
- Norton Rose Fulbright acts for Conergy in Australian-first solar and battery storage deal
Energy transition: A monthly newsletter in association with Petroleum Economist
The energy transition is firmly underway. While global demand for energy continues to rise, increasing pressure from governments, investors, and consumers to support the decarbonisation of the industry has spearheaded radical change.