Joseph Otto Mrkonich
Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Joe Mrkonich is a litigation senior associate in Norton Rose Fulbright's Minneapolis office. He joined the firm in January 2013 and has since worked in medical device, product liability, healthcare, financial services, employment, and commercial litigation. He regularly assists clients in all facets of the litigation process, from commencement of suit through trial and post-trial matters.
Joe has been committed to using his legal education and skills to help the community. He has successfully represented indigent clients in contested case hearings through the Volunteer Lawyers Network, and while in law school, earned the Boyd Service Award in recognition of his volunteer activities. Joe has been an active member of the Hennepin County Bar Association, most recently serving as co-chair of the HCBA's Community Relations Committee. He has been extensively involved as a volunteer with Books For Africa, a Twin-Cities-based international charity. He is a member of the life sciences, pharma and health care litigation group.
JD, University of Iowa College of Law, 2010
BA. High Distinction, Honors in Literature, Science and the Arts, University of Iowa, 2006
Joe is a member of Phi Beta Kappa. He was awarded the Boyd Service Award--Highest Honors for volunteerism in law school.
He is admitted to practice law in Minnesota.
- Minnesota State Bar
- Over a 4 year period, assisted medical device company in mass tort consolidated in an MDL. Specific tasks included:
- Prepared multiple 30(b)(6) corporate witnesses in the Marketing, Sales, and Regulatory departments through interviews and company fact research; conducted mock cross-examinations of key witnesses; researched and identified key documents for deposition preparation; participated in second chair defense for deposition of the first witness in large scale litigation;
- Co-managed document production efforts in MDL discovery; presided over a team of more than 100 attorneys from Norton Rose Fulbright and a contract vendor; presented training lectures; co-wrote review manuals as well as other materials for team guidance; identified key documents to the litigation and prepared reports for leadership teams; conducted affirmative discovery on plaintiffs;
- Managed over 1,000 plaintiffs' medical records and participated in negotiations with co-defendants, including the preparation of work product provided to co-defendants to initiate discussions.
- Developed expert witnesses through interviews and review of reports; researched and wrote memoranda on medical and scientific issues for case strategy;
- Defended fact witness deposition in a medical device product liability matter involving a male incontinence device;
- Deposed plaintiff, developed the record, and assisted in briefing successful summary judgment motion on a Truth in Lending Act case that was remanded from the United States Supreme Court (Jesinoski et al v. Countrywide Home Loans, Inc. et al, 0:11-cv-00474-DWF-FLN (D. Minn. 2016)(affirmed on appeal));
- Obtained motion to dismiss on medical device matter on federal pre-emption grounds (Parra v. Coloplast, 2017 WL 24794 (E.D. La. 2017));
- Managed confidential male external catheter case from commencement of demand until settlement; handled extensive discovery and participated in a complex mediation; drafted settlement agreement containing provisions for Medicaid;
- Relocated to New York for six months on assignment for an antitrust matter involving multiple offices of Norton Rose Fulbright and other international law firms; presented training lectures on privilege issues and collaborated on special projects;
- Successfully managed data breach investigation; worked with vendor, contract attorneys, support staff, and multiple offices to achieve timely results;
- Assisted in document production and witness preparation for false advertising case involving FDA-regulated products;
- Recognized team-player with a strong work ethic.
- "MSBA Pro Bono CLE. Real Faces of Pro Bono," Panelist
- Books For Africa, Ambassador Circle Member (2015 - Present)
- Hennepin County Bar Association New Lawyers' Section--Community Service Director (2012-2015)
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Volunteer Lawyers Network