Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Related services and key industries
Damian Georgino advises U.S. and international corporations, including Fortune 50 companies, financial institutions, private equity funds and other investors in complex transactions involving water and wastewater, environmental, industrial/manufacturing, energy, infrastructure and natural resource projects. In his more than 25 years of experience, Damian has advised clients on transactional— including investments, financings and structures, risk management and compliance—and operational matters across a variety of industries. He has extensive experience in buy-and-build and hyper-growth strategies, structures and operations primarily focused on the water, wastewater, energy, technology and environmental industries. Damian has also successfully led numerous water and wastewater privatization and P3/PPP projects in the U.S. and throughout the world.
As part of his practice, Damian counsels clients on various corporate and financial transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, international corporate transactions, divestitures, restructurings, corporate structuring, corporate finance, public and private equity and debt offerings, and venture capital transactions. Damian also manages a broad array of general corporate governance issues for his clients including representing and advising boards of directors and special committees. Over the course of his career, he has sourced, negotiated, structured, analyzed and completed several hundred transactions.
Damian previously served as managing partner of a permanent capital provider and as a strategic partner for a multibillion-dollar private equity fund. His prior experience includes serving as a senior advisor to a private equity firm, where he focused on alternative energy and related infrastructure investments. Damian also has served as a corporate development executive and Chief Legal Officer of several high-profile/high-growth public companies, and as a partner in private practice with AmLaw 100 Law Firms.
Throughout this career, Damian has served on the boards of several private and public companies and nonprofit organizations. He currently serves on several boards of private equity portfolio companies.
JD, Emory University School of Law, 1986
MBA, summa cum laude, Emory University School of Business, 1986
BS, magna cum laude, Dickinson College, 1982
- District of Columbia Bar
- New York State Bar
- Pennsylvania State Bar
- Completed more than 350 mergers, acquisitions, financings and divestitures throughout the world in water and wastewater, energy, infrastructure, manufacturing, operations, technology and services.
- Advised numerous clients in North American and international privatization efforts in water, wastewater and infrastructure operations.
- Led several buy-and-build strategies in a number of industries, including water and wastewater, unconventional oil and gas, energy, industrial distribution, real estate, oilfield services, and waste oil and refining.
- Advised Upwell Water LLC, a San Francisco-based water-focused specialty finance company, in its equity investment from Crestview Partners. Crestview's investment in Upwell Water, in conjunction with a prior commitment from the 2040 Fund (which NRF also handled), will provide Upwell Water with equity capital to deploy US$1 billion into water-focused investments. This equity investment from Crestview is the second-largest water infrastructure financing deal in 2020.
- Advised on numerous industrial outsourcing transactions with respect to the water and wastewater operations, including recycle, recirculation and reuse.
- Advised a private equity sponsor on a +US$1.0 billion "go private" transaction of a publicly-traded company that owns and develops desalination projects, industrial outsourced water projects and operates a commercial office water and related services business.
- Advised IFC on a PPP project in Amman, Jordan to address non-revenue water issues including financing alternatives.
- Acted as consortium legal counsel to a leading water company concerning the structuring, financing, development of an integrated desalination plant(s) and related energy/power and pipeline needs including negotiation of offtaker agreements in MENA.
- Assisted in the development and financing, including technology and equipment procurement, in connection with the Carlsbad, CA, desalination project.
- Divested a global water and wastewater company for a Fortune 500 global mining, refining and smelting enterprise in a complex multi-staged transaction.
- Divested an oil and gas development company, including related gathering lines, pipelines, processing and rail lines for a Fortune 50 global enterprise.
- Developed a series of joint ventures to manufacture plastic closures and bottles for a Fortune 50 global enterprise in more than 12 countries.
- Completed a $750 million standby credit facility to support an investment grade commercial paper/debt program for a Fortune 50 company.
- Completed the first ever cross-border hostile takeover of a water and wastewater technology company listed on both the New York Stock Exchange and the Australian Stock Exchange.
- Completed a $900 million public bond issuance for a Fortune 300, NYSE-listed global water and wastewater company.
- Completed a $752 million syndicated credit facility for a Fortune 300, NYSE-listed global water and wastewater company.
- Completed a combined $840 million public convertible note and equity offering for a Fortune 300, NYSE-listed global water and wastewater company.
- Completed the sale of a Fortune 300 global water and wastewater NYSE-listed global enterprise to a large French multinational conglomerate for $8.6 billion in enterprise value.
- Completed the formation and initial funding of a new private equity fund focusing on acquisition and financing of water and wastewater projects and investments.
- Developed and financed a merchant canola crush plant for a NASDAQ-listed deep value holding company.
- Completed a $110 million PIPE for a NASDAQ-listed deep value holding company.
- Completed $100 million sale of a residential water service and technology company for a PE client.
- Completed a two-tranche, $400 million high yield bond offering for a NYSE-listed oilfield services company focused on water, wastewater and treatment technologies for hydraulic fracturing to support acquisitions.
- Completed a $90 million secondary bond offering for a NYSE-listed oilfield services company focused on water, wastewater and treatment technologies for hydraulic fracturing.
- Completed a $150 million (with a $75 million accordion feature) syndicated combined revolving and term credit facility for a public oilfield services company focused on the water aspects of hydraulic fracturing.
- Completed a $250 million (with a $100 million accordion feature) syndicated revolving credit facility for a public oilfield services company focused on the water aspects of hydraulic fracturing.
- Completed a $350 million (with a $100 million accordion feature) syndicated revolving credit facility for a public oilfield services company focused on the water aspects of hydraulic fracturing.
- Established a $400 million universal shelf registration statement for a deep value holding company.
- Established an $800 million universal shelf registration statement for a global Fortune 300 water and wastewater company.
- Completed a $450 million equity offering for a global Fortune 300 water and wastewater company.
- Completed a $120 million acquisition of polymeric manufacturing operations in the U.S., France and Brazil for a large global enterprise operating in U.S. bankruptcy.
- Completed the acquisition of 42,000 acres of real property and associated vested Colorado River water rights in California, together with the acquisition of 8,000 acres of real property and associated groundwater rights in Texas.
- Completed the acquisition of an Israeli water treatment technology company listed on the Tel Aviv Stock Exchange (TASE).
- Completed the acquisition of the largest NYSE-listed global residential water and point-of-use water company (Culligan) in a $2.2 billion enterprise value transaction.
- Represented a large publicly-traded Japanese holding company in the acquisition of a North American natural gas local distribution company (LDC) and the follow-on debt financing activities of the LDC.