Norton Rose Fulbright South Africa Inc
Related services and key industries
Amina is a banking and financial services lawyer based in Johannesburg.
Amina primarily focuses on the regulatory framework within which the financial services providers operate. She advises both private and public sector clients on the various aspects and implications of the Financial Sector Regulation Act, the Financial Advisory Intermediary Services Act, the Medical Schemes Act and the Pension Funds Act, as well as other related legislation and regulations.
During her articles of clerkship with the firm, Amina has been involved in various complex commercial and insurance litigation, and dispute resolution matters. She has also been involved in defending and advising insurance companies, major domestic and international financial institutions, and mining houses on litigious matters and general affairs relating to their various industries.
Amina holds a Bachelor of Laws degree from the University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg.
LLB, University of the Witwatersrand
- Attorney, qualified in South Africa
Reviewing and advising on a participation agreement on behalf of a large industrial and multinational conglomerate with regard to the company's participation in an umbrella fund
Establishing a pension preservation fund as well as a retirement annuity fund on behalf of a large insurance company
Advising a large well-established international bank on setting up a representative office in South Africa and continuous advice on the operation of such office
Procuring Financial Advisory and Intermediary Services licences for various international banks who wish to provide intermediary services in South Africa
Advising a pension and provident fund on a Constitutional Court judgment affecting KZN members participating in it and the implications of such judgment
Advising the regulatory body of all medical schemes in the Republic of South Africa on the application of its governing legislation with respect to issuing directives and enforcing conditions on the regulated medical schemes
Acting for an administrator to a pension fund in litigation regarding a fraud perpetuated by an employee of the actuaries of the fund which resulted in the loss of money by the funds
Conducted due diligence reviews, with respect to retirement arrangements, medical schemes arrangements as well as equity-linked incentive share schemes compliance and obligations, for a transaction involving the acquisition of majority shares in a group of mining companies
Providing ongoing advice to a client in various ongoing inquiries by commissions within the Parliament of South Africa, relating to various investigations into the governance of state-owned companies and government departments
Providing advice to a pension fund with an asset base of more than R1.8 trillion and a total membership of 1.2 million active members, to set up an internal ombud so as to provide access to justice for its members. This is the first project of its kind having regard to the membership of this fund
Reviewing governance policies of an asset management company
Procuring Authorised Dealer licences for various clients who wish to provide foreign exchange services in South Africa
Advising an employer on the ability of the fund in which it participates to refund overpayments made by the employer
Assisting companies with becoming authorised dealers in foreign exchange
Providing advice and drafting contracts based on cryptocurrency
- "Draft Conduct Standard for Banks" - Financial Institution Legal Snapshot (May 2019)
- "FSCA moves to ensure pension fund board members are up to the task" - Moneyweb.co.za (May 2019)
- "PAJA applies to s37c Pension Funds Act decisions" - BizCommunity.org (March 2020)
- "Grade period for pension funds with no remaining members to comply with the Pension Funds Act" - Financial Institution Legal Snapshot (March 2020)
- "Equitable Jurisdiction: The Pension Funds Adjudicator cannot make orders disregarding statutory provisions" - Without Prejudice (May 2020)
- "Progressive changes for the retirement fund industry in FSCA draft Conduct Standards" - Financial Institution Legal Snapshot (July 2020)
- "FSCA publishes the conduct standard for banks" - B2BCentral.com (July 2020)
- "'De bloedige hand' principle and its application in s37C pension fund distributions" - FA News (September 2020)
- "Will Regulation 28 be amended to accommodate SARB's announcement on ETFs?" - Cover (November 2020)
- COFI Bill : Proposed Amendment to the Pension Funds Act - 6 November 2020 - Pension Lawyers Association Webinar