Associate (Admitted in Venezuela but not in Australia)
Norton Rose Fulbright Australia
Related services and key industries
Norah Chafardet is an employment and labour lawyer (admitted in Venezuela but not in Australia) based in Sydney.
Since 2004, Norah has specialised in employment law and work health and safety. Prior to joining the Sydney office in 2017, Norah was a Senior Associate for more than 10 years in the Employment and Labour Group of Norton Rose Fulbright in Venezuela, where she acted as an experienced litigator and adviser with a background in employment and labour law.
Norah's areas of expertise include employment, as well as complimentary experience in work, health and safety.
- Diploma in Law (Ongoing) - Legal Profession Admission Board in conjunction with the Law Extension Committee of the University of Sydney, Australia (2016 – Present. Academic exemptions obtained).
- Diploma in Corporate Law - Metropolitan University Caracas, Venezuela (2005)
- Bachelor of Laws (Hons) - Andres Bello Catholic University, Caracas (2002)
- Lawyer, qualified in Venezuela (Miranda State) 2002
- Assisted employers in drafting policies about management performance, complaint resolution procedure, parental leave, sexual harassment and workplace bullying.
- Conducted due diligence reviews of employment law liabilities in relation to corporate acquisitions, which included advising on whether companies were complying with regulations relating to workplace safety, employee benefits, common law employment agreements and modern awards.
- Provided guidance to employers in relation to legal obligations regarding unfair dismissal laws and redundancy process.
- Provided advice to employers in relation to adverse action claims.
- Drafted senior executive and management employment agreements.
- Provided advice to employers in relation to legal obligations regarding independent contractors and provisions of sham contracting arrangements.
- Prepared and conducted trainings to prevent and manage workplace bullying and sexual harassment.
- Prepared and conducted presentations about duties under the model Work, Health and Safety laws, as well as incident response obligations.
- Merit of Honour (First Class), Miranda State Bar Association, 2012 (Caracas, Venezuela)
- Norah Chafardet and David Cross, "Absence of work-wages bargain crucial for Fair Work Commission in concluding that an Uber driver was not an employee" (2018), globalworkplaceinsider.com
- Norah Chafardet and David Cross, "Model term for family friendly working arrangements to be included in Modern Award" (2018), globalworkplaceinsider.com