Senior Associate (Admitted in South Africa, but not Australia)
Norton Rose Fulbright Australia
Related services and key industries
Hannes Marais is an insurance and litigation lawyer based in Sydney and admitted in South Africa.
Hannes focusses on complex insurance disputes and coverage issues, particularly on financial lines such as directors & officers, professional indemnity, management liability, cyber and warranty & indemnity claims.
Hannes has further experience in commercial disputes as defence counsel for professionals, such as accountants, auditors, engineers and engineering companies relating to contractual disputes as well as claims based in tort.
- Bachelor of Commerce in Law (with distinction), University of the Free State, South Africa (2007)
- Honours in Economics LLB (with distinction), University of the Free State, South Africa (2008)
- Bachelor of Law, University of the Free State, South Africa (2010)
- Masters of Law, University of the Free State, South Africa (2012)
- Attorney qualified in South Africa 2014
- Warranty and indemnity insurers – advised on and dealt with claims for losses in excess of AU$10 million arising out of breach of warranties regarding material contracts, accounting errors and non-payment of liabilities.
- Professional indemnity insurers - advised on cover and dealt with disputes in relation to litigation against chartered accountants, attorneys, engineers and professional project managers in respect of construction projects. This includes representing chartered accountants in complaints lodged against them with the relevant regulatory body.
- Director and officer insurers - advised on cover and dealt with disputes in relation to directors' and officers' liability concerning fraud and the misappropriation of funds as well as fidelity litigation claims concerning dishonest conduct by employees.
- Insurers - advised on and dealt with disputes relating to fraudulent and innocent non-disclosures and misrepresentations in an insurance and re-insurance context.
- Quasi-equity loan insurer - advised on policy wording for quasi-equity loans under insurance guarantees issued by the Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency which form part of the World Bank.
- Cyber insurers - advised on cover relating to losses sustained as a result of the hacking and breaches of IT systems by unknown threat actors.